cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling Telnet on the SG200-50FP

nachoolibre
Level 1
Level 1

I connot connect to SG200-50FP out of the box using Telnet. Web interface works ok, How do I enable Telnet on the switch?

9 Replies 9

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

The SG200 has no CLI interface, so there's no way to enable telnet or SSH access. If you need a switch with a CLI, you should look at an SG220 or better.

Jody, Is there a way to configure multiple ports at once, such as making ports 2 through 24 configured to access ports and vlan2?

I believe you can achieve this by first configuring Port 2 under Vlan Management -> Interface Settings and place it into the correct Vlan.  

Then select Port 2 from the same screen after editing the Vlan, click "Copy settings" and enter "3-24" as the interface range.

Nathan's summed it up well. The "copy settings" option is your friend when dealing with those units.

jan.klepal
Level 1
Level 1

There is no official support, however telnet can be enabled by following steps (if you do so, you will probably void your warranty, God kills a kitten and other evil things happen):

1. Log into switch via web interface.
  2. Go to Administration -> File Management -> Download/Backup Configuration/Log
  3. Select Save Action: backup, Source File Type: Running configuration file, Sensitive Data: Exclude and hit Apply button.
  4. Open downloaded running-config.txt in text editor and just after line "username cisco ..." add line ip telnet server and save the file.
  5. Go back to switch web interface and hit Done button to get back into Download/Backup Configuration/Log.
  6. Select Save Action: Download, Source File Name: choose your modified running-config.txt, Destination File Type: Running configuration file and hit Apply button.
  7. Telnet is enabled on port 6500... so from commandline run telnet <switch ip> 6500 and enjoy CLI :-)

You can verify that the telnet is enabled in web interface under Security -> TCP/UDP Services. Look for line which begins with Telnet in TCP Service Table. Port telnet server is listening on is in Local Port column.

Snip of running-config.txt:

username cisco password encrypted xxxxx privilege 15 
ip telnet server
!
interface gigabitethernet1

Good info!  Sometimes you just need a CLI to do some simple testing!  

The only thing I found (on an SG200-26) is that the default username (cisco) didn't authenticate using telnet.  I had to add a secondary user account, which authenticates just fine.

hi Jan

great info. Few months ago I did same trick with adding "ip telnet server" but I thought that it was simply not working. I didnt realized that telnet just started, but on nonstandard port! Thanks for this final revealing :-)

unfortunately now I guess they will block this in future firmware versions. at least we can see that this is purely marketing-related restriction :-(

thank you anyway for letting us know

Thanks Jan.. very useful infor... i had few problems with gui.. cli is the best ...

Thanks for this 
It's working