Views
Helpful
Replies

ESW-520-24-K9 supperted SFPs

ngtransge
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am interesting is ESW-520-24-K9 switche supports GLC-LH-SM SFP ?

In  official data sheet there is no information about that. Some guys out there were speaking  that it is supported and I am interesting if it is true ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I hate the idea of running 9um single mode SFP on a multimodal cable 50 or 62.5th fiber core.

I have never used it , but I would guess if you must  run SM SFP over MM fiber, there may be a mode conditioning cable to allow that mating.

I have seen within Cisco the mention of using SM SFP over multimode. I am unconvinced by that application.

I personally will not validate running SM SFP over a MM cable. My colleagues may disagree.

I welcome any input to your application from other folks on the community.

Regards dave

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

rocater
Level 3
Level 3

Hello ngtransge,

The ESW 500 series switches do support fiber line connections using the mini-gbic transceivers. Here is a link to the supported models for use with the ESW 500 series.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/small_business_network_accessories/index.html-tab-Models

What about exactly GLC-LH-SM  ?

Hi Ngtransge,

It should work ok, but we have validated MGBLX1 for SM 10KM applications. See the following datasheet for validated SFP's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10143/data_sheet_c78-521740.html

regards Dave

ngtransge
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for helping,

GLC-LH-SM  works for both multimude and singlemode fibers. Does  MGBLX1 support both modes?

I hate the idea of running 9um single mode SFP on a multimodal cable 50 or 62.5th fiber core.

I have never used it , but I would guess if you must  run SM SFP over MM fiber, there may be a mode conditioning cable to allow that mating.

I have seen within Cisco the mention of using SM SFP over multimode. I am unconvinced by that application.

I personally will not validate running SM SFP over a MM cable. My colleagues may disagree.

I welcome any input to your application from other folks on the community.

Regards dave