Views
Helpful
Replies

ESW-520-24-K9 supperted SFPs

ngtransge
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am interesting is ESW-520-24-K9 switche supports GLC-LH-SM SFP ?

In  official data sheet there is no information about that. Some guys out there were speaking  that it is supported and I am interesting if it is true ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I hate the idea of running 9um single mode SFP on a multimodal cable 50 or 62.5th fiber core.

I have never used it , but I would guess if you must  run SM SFP over MM fiber, there may be a mode conditioning cable to allow that mating.

I have seen within Cisco the mention of using SM SFP over multimode. I am unconvinced by that application.

I personally will not validate running SM SFP over a MM cable. My colleagues may disagree.

I welcome any input to your application from other folks on the community.

Regards dave

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

rocater
Level 3
Level 3

Hello ngtransge,

The ESW 500 series switches do support fiber line connections using the mini-gbic transceivers. Here is a link to the supported models for use with the ESW 500 series.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/small_business_network_accessories/index.html-tab-Models

What about exactly GLC-LH-SM  ?

Hi Ngtransge,

It should work ok, but we have validated MGBLX1 for SM 10KM applications. See the following datasheet for validated SFP's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10143/data_sheet_c78-521740.html

regards Dave

ngtransge
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for helping,

GLC-LH-SM  works for both multimude and singlemode fibers. Does  MGBLX1 support both modes?

I hate the idea of running 9um single mode SFP on a multimodal cable 50 or 62.5th fiber core.

I have never used it , but I would guess if you must  run SM SFP over MM fiber, there may be a mode conditioning cable to allow that mating.

I have seen within Cisco the mention of using SM SFP over multimode. I am unconvinced by that application.

I personally will not validate running SM SFP over a MM cable. My colleagues may disagree.

I welcome any input to your application from other folks on the community.

Regards dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X