cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EWS-520-24 IP Phone Issues

safeharborfc
Level 1
Level 1

I'm managed switch no0b and I'm unfortunately running into a wall configuring it.

Some background: My IP phones and VOIP service is all provided by an offsite company, however for cost purposes they no longer provide networking support for my office location (we moved that service to our other office where the sales floor is). So when their hardware and t1 went to our other office, I was left to fend for myself. I started with DSL and an unmanaged switch (Cisco's SR216), which aside for some minor phone call quality issues went fine, but when we decided to add a server and two more IP Phones to this location, it became clear I needed to upgrade things. So I've ordered our t1 and upgraded to this Cisco managed switch.

The switch in its default configuration allows the phones to work fine, but the pass-through line to the desktop computers wasn't working. I opened the CCA and followed its suggestion in the Smartports panel to set the appropriate ports to 'IP Phone + Desktop' roles, assigning the access VLAN to 'default(1)' and the voice VLAN to its default of 'Cisco-Voice (100)'. The results were that the desktop computers worked, but the IP Phones didn't.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? Both the phones and the data worked fine with the previous unmanaged switch, so I'm assuming that it's not the DSL modem, but I just was wondering if I overlooked something.

Also, once I assign a port's role as 'IP Phone + Desktop' there doesn't appear to be a friendly way to get the port back to desktop, even after the IP Phone has been disconnected from the port. Any way around that without restoring the factory defaults?

Thanks.

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X