cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help recovering SG200 switch after failed firmware upgrade?

Tim_Myth
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SG 200-50 that had firmware version 1.0.0.19 (the very first version). I tried to update the firmware to 1.3.7 and the boot file to 1.3.5 so I could then upgrade to 1.4.11. Now I cannot ping the switch after rebooting it. Sadly, this is the core switch that connects my router to the rest of my infrastructure, so I cannot access it remotely. I won't be able to physically connect to it until noon tomorrow. Any advice on how to restore this as quickly as possible? I may have backed up the config...if I did it right. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tim_Myth
Level 1
Level 1

I got access to the building, did a hard power cycle, and the switches started working again. Perhaps the 7 minutes in the documentation was optimistic and I should have been more patient. Actually, I *should* have been more patient since I was upgrading the bootcode and the firmware at the same time. Both of those together very likely took longer than 10 minute, Thanks for the input @marce1000 .

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- (sadly) You will need a physical view and or access to see what is  going on . such as observing status leds and or indicators.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Tim_Myth
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, so console cable to the switch? Then what? What should I be looking for? Its been probably 20 years since I've had to program a switch, and I've never had to recover one. 

A little more background: I work in a food processing facility that runs 24/7. The only time they are willing to shut down production is over holidays, and that is when they fumigate. I have roughly 30 minutes from the time the mill stops to the time the fumigator says time to go. I started the upgrade on this switch with about 15 minutes of time to spare. The documentation says it will take roughly 7 minutes to boot, but at the 10 minute mark I started stressing out and rebooted it. I could see activity lights flashing on the ports so it looked like things were connecting, but I could not ping the switch. Maybe it just grabbed a different IP address? But our VeloCloud edge device and all our servers plug into this switch, so if it were working, I think I would be able to VPN in or at least get email. I didn't have any more time to look at it because that's when the fumigator told me to get out. The mill is supposed to be restarting at 3pm tomorrow, but that's not going to happen with this switch down. The pesticides could be cleared out as early as noon, but...? I'll go sit in the parking lot and wait for the fumigator to give me the green light. I'm just looking for advice on troubleshooting steps so I can get it back up asap.

- Note that this forum is populated by volunteers, for business critical conditions you need to involve TAC :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Tim_Myth
Level 1
Level 1

I got access to the building, did a hard power cycle, and the switches started working again. Perhaps the 7 minutes in the documentation was optimistic and I should have been more patient. Actually, I *should* have been more patient since I was upgrading the bootcode and the firmware at the same time. Both of those together very likely took longer than 10 minute, Thanks for the input @marce1000 .