cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I configure SNMP v1/2 on a Cisco SG200-50?

jmu_feb191977
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an SG200-50 small business switch that I need to configure SNMP on.  It has the latest firmware and boot code installed on it and so the SNMP configuration tab appears in the GUI.

However, when I enable SNMP in the TCP/UDP services page on the switch and create a RO community string (let's say 'public') it is completely unreachable via SNMP.

I have configured other switches in the past for SNMP and it was always as simple as enabling SNMP (if necessary) and creating a community string for access.  I don't understand what could be mucking this up here.

Under the TCP/UDP services tab, the GUI says that the switch is listening on the SNMP port of UDP 161.

Am I missing something obvious?

Many Thanks,

Jon

5 Replies 5

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jon, see if this helps- go to http://sbkb.cisco.com and search switches > snmp.  There is an article ID 3590 about setting up SNMP on these switches.  Unfortunately the site does not seem to allow linking directly to pages.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Hi Brandon,

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I followed exactly what was prescribed by the article you mentioned, but it still doesn't work.  So I decided to perform a port scan of the switch and I was able to determine that it is not listening on UDP 161 (SNMP) as the GUI claims that it is.  I am going to reboot it one more time, but besides that, I am at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks,

Jon

Strange.  You did scan connected directly to switch I guess?  What software version?  I do recall some time ago enabling SNMP on a bunch of 200 series switches and had to upgrade, but I think t was to get SNMP feature at all, not because of an issue with it not working.  Is the switch new?  It comes with free phone support from Cisco.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Thanks Brandon.  Yes, I had to upgrade the firmware initially to gain access to the SNMP management features.  They weren't available out-of-the-box.

I will probably call Cisco for support whenever I have a free moment.

Jon

george.chaitas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

You just need to enable snmp service on the Security->TCP UDP Services page.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf20x_sg20x/administration_guide/78-21139.pdf

page 334

G.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X