cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I get the IP address off my 3 esw 540's they are already bolted up and mounted?

rtiffany2014
Level 1
Level 1

New IT Manager, prior IT staff did not document anything I have identified all routers and switches so far except the 3 ESW 540's throughout the building the issue is they are already bolted up in place and in use I cannot find a console port and need the ip addresses to add them to my Configuration Professional Community.

1 Reply 1

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

There are a few ways we may be able to locate the IP for those switches.

The easiest option would be to download and install Cisco FindIT, that does work with the ESWs, assuming Bonjour hasn't been disabled on them.

That however only seems to work if you are in the same subnet as the management IP of the switch, I tested it a bit here in my lab.

You can also try getting into another Cisco device that is connected to those ESWs and try looking at the CDP neighbors, although I am not sure this would show you the management IP address (it does not on SG200s, although I do remember seeing that before on some Catalysts)

Another option would be to use some sort of IP scanner, but again that depends on you being in the correct VLAN when you run the scan.  You may also need to know the MAC address of the switch to make this useful. 

One other thing to note is that the ESWs do not support CCP.  They use a similar but different program called CCA (Cisco Configuration Assistant).  This may also be able to discover the device for you, but one again you would probably need to be in the management VLAN.

Having said all of that, your best bet may be to just get a console cable in there somehow.  It is on the back of the switch, on the opposite side from the power cable.  It is not a console port like on the enterprise switches, but rather a standard serial port. Of course, you will still need to know the username and password to get into them, so you may end up having to reset the switch to factory defaults regardless.

Hope that helps, and good luck getting into them,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X