cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you dumb down a small business SF300 to a transparent bridge?

chris.george
Level 1
Level 1

I am using the Cisco SF302 switches as a connection to some wireless devices that will link two buildings together.

In this configuration: Cisco 3570 in building 1 >> Cisco SF302 >> building 1 wireless bridge >> building 2 wireless bridge >> Cisco SF302 >> Cisco 3560 in building 2.

It seems that by default the SF302's are not acting as transparent bridges and just letting all my 802.1Q traffic through.

How do I dumb them down so that all 802.1Q traffic is dealt with by the 3570 and 3560 with the SF302's just acting as part of the bridge letting my 802.1Q pass through unimpeded?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ivor Diedricks
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By default, VLANs are not automatically added to trunk ports. You have to create them and assign them to the trunk ports.This has been done for security reasons.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ivor Diedricks
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By default, VLANs are not automatically added to trunk ports. You have to create them and assign them to the trunk ports.This has been done for security reasons.

Yea, what you want to do can't be done.

What you need to do is configure two trunk ports for each side, configure all of the VLANs manually or via GVRP, and then the switch will let the tagged frames through.

Thanks Jesse - I sort of worked that out in the end. I added the VLANs manually AND activated GVRP AND put the trunk mode to General - and now it is working but whether I needed all three changes in place I am not so sure.

When I activated GVRP I expected VLANs to automatically be created on the SF300 - but that did not happen - so the manual creation of the VLANs was necessary and that worked just fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X