Views
Helpful
Replies

how to block port communication

sundar ganesh
Level 1
Level 1

hi there,

i have cisco sg-300 cisco switch. i want to make connections between 2nd to 3rd port, and block communication between 3rd and 4th port.

in brief, 2nd port must access all other ports which is in same switch,, 3rd port should not communicate all other ports except 2nd port.

and 4th port should not communicate all other ports except 2nd port....

how to do this? is this possible.... please help...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi sundar, this can be done with protected port which is located by editing a port under port management. this will isolate every individual port from seeing each other while using the uplink port. If you need any of those AP ports to communicate then it will require access lists.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sundar, this would be accomplished through access lists.

Remember the access list on this switch is for ingress traffic only so in other words if you want to block traffic from port 3 to port 2, the access list should be applied to port 3.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi tom, thanks for the reply. but still i couldnt get the answer.

Here i give you the brief.

i am going to connect 20 access point in that cisco sg-300 switch.

wifi users access the internet through access points which is connected to cisco sg-300 switch.

In order to reduce traffic in cisco sg-300 switch, i will assign port 1 as an uplink for internet.

port 1 (internet link)

port 2----access point 1---- wifi users(10 to 20 no's)

port 3---- access point 2-----wifi users (10 to 20 no's)

port 4----access point 3 ------wifi users (10 to 20 no's)

in this case port 2 and port 1 should be communicate,( to provide internet for wifi users's)

next            port 3 and port 1 should be communicate,(to provide internet for wifi users)

next            port 4 and port 1 should be communicate.(to provide internet for wifi users)

and now,

port 2 and port 3 traffic must be blocked. (i dont know how to do this,, but i want to)

port 2 and port 4 traffic also must be blocked

port 3 and port 4 traffic must be blocked.

that's all?

How to do this?

Hi sundar, this can be done with protected port which is located by editing a port under port management. this will isolate every individual port from seeing each other while using the uplink port. If you need any of those AP ports to communicate then it will require access lists.

-Tom

Thanks alot Tom,

It works...!!!!!! :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X