cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to interconnect two CBS250-24P-4X with 10G SFP+ fiber patch cable?

Rudi21
Level 1
Level 1

I just want a faster connection between those two CBS250 switches instead of 1GbE copper cable?

As stacking seems not available, what else could work, VLAN, trunk?

If I plug-in a compatible 10Gtek SFP+ transceiver (each on port #1), the switch is no more reachable via 1GbE copper cable, all connected 1GbE-devices are no more reachable in our small offline-LAN incl. DHCP-router. PC got weird address 169.254.x.x., CBS250 status-LED on the lower left corner is blinking for over 5 minutes (still booting and self-testing?), a reset helped (with empty SFT+), but still no solution for a fiber interconnect. Latest firmware applied of course! Adding compatible fiber patch cable (factory assembled, cross, multi-mode, LC-LC, OM3, 30 meter) instead of 1GbE copper standard interconnect doesn't change the behavior.

What did I wrong? Should it work out-of-the-box or do I have to apply some magic tricks inside the switch-webOS-GUI before populating the SFP+ port? Should I unplug all 1 GbE device via copper cables before? Boot-up the switch with DHCP-router enabled or not?

Thanks & regards

PS: Is that where the price difference comes from between CBS250 and CBS350?

150 EUR more just for doubled MAC-addresses and stacking-option?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Update:
It works, I got two Cisco CBS250-24P-4X interconnected, each with one single 10Gtek SFP+ SR Multimode Modul "AXS85-192-M3” in SFP+ port #1, plus compatible LC-LC OM3 50/125 multimode fiber patch cable.

Reason (I guess): Both switches are still unchanged on DHCP, BUT got same “static” IP-addresses every day beforehand via new DHCP-router!

You can close my request!

Thanks & regards
Rudi

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CBS250-24P  - it got 4SFP+ port you can use to connect between switch as Trunk, if you need more you can connect 2 10GB ports in port channel with other switch.

If you have budget moving to higher level 350 or 5XX model get better outcome ?

on the side note : what kind of throughput you looking ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Rudi21
Level 1
Level 1

One single 10 GbE LC-LC-fiber connection between two CBS250 via SFP+ instead of a single 1 GbE copper cable via RJ45 would be sufficient as "outcome".  Unless you say that an interconnect between two CBS250 via 10G SFP+ will never work...

What else are the SFP+ ports for?

So if I understand you correctly, the solution would be to enable "trunk" on SFP+ port #1 one each switch before populating it?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/CBS_250_350/Administration-Guide/cbs-250-ag/vlan-management.html

Or any else I have to enable or take care of before I try next?

Update:
It works, I got two Cisco CBS250-24P-4X interconnected, each with one single 10Gtek SFP+ SR Multimode Modul "AXS85-192-M3” in SFP+ port #1, plus compatible LC-LC OM3 50/125 multimode fiber patch cable.

Reason (I guess): Both switches are still unchanged on DHCP, BUT got same “static” IP-addresses every day beforehand via new DHCP-router!

You can close my request!

Thanks & regards
Rudi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X