cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

CISCO SWITCHES FOR SMALL and MEDIUM BUSINESS

Introducing the next generation of Cisco Small and Medium Business Switches. Cisco is refreshing its SMB Switch portfolio. Click here  to learn more.

Views
Helpful
Replies
Rudi21
Beginner

How to interconnect two CBS250-24P-4X with 10G SFP+ fiber patch cable?

I just want a faster connection between those two CBS250 switches instead of 1GbE copper cable?

As stacking seems not available, what else could work, VLAN, trunk?

If I plug-in a compatible 10Gtek SFP+ transceiver (each on port #1), the switch is no more reachable via 1GbE copper cable, all connected 1GbE-devices are no more reachable in our small offline-LAN incl. DHCP-router. PC got weird address 169.254.x.x., CBS250 status-LED on the lower left corner is blinking for over 5 minutes (still booting and self-testing?), a reset helped (with empty SFT+), but still no solution for a fiber interconnect. Latest firmware applied of course! Adding compatible fiber patch cable (factory assembled, cross, multi-mode, LC-LC, OM3, 30 meter) instead of 1GbE copper standard interconnect doesn't change the behavior.

What did I wrong? Should it work out-of-the-box or do I have to apply some magic tricks inside the switch-webOS-GUI before populating the SFP+ port? Should I unplug all 1 GbE device via copper cables before? Boot-up the switch with DHCP-router enabled or not?

Thanks & regards

PS: Is that where the price difference comes from between CBS250 and CBS350?

150 EUR more just for doubled MAC-addresses and stacking-option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Update:
It works, I got two Cisco CBS250-24P-4X interconnected, each with one single 10Gtek SFP+ SR Multimode Modul "AXS85-192-M3” in SFP+ port #1, plus compatible LC-LC OM3 50/125 multimode fiber patch cable.

Reason (I guess): Both switches are still unchanged on DHCP, BUT got same “static” IP-addresses every day beforehand via new DHCP-router!

You can close my request!

Thanks & regards
Rudi

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
balaji.bandi
VIP Master

CBS250-24P  - it got 4SFP+ port you can use to connect between switch as Trunk, if you need more you can connect 2 10GB ports in port channel with other switch.

If you have budget moving to higher level 350 or 5XX model get better outcome ?

on the side note : what kind of throughput you looking ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Community for Help

Rudi21
Beginner

One single 10 GbE LC-LC-fiber connection between two CBS250 via SFP+ instead of a single 1 GbE copper cable via RJ45 would be sufficient as "outcome".  Unless you say that an interconnect between two CBS250 via 10G SFP+ will never work...

What else are the SFP+ ports for?

So if I understand you correctly, the solution would be to enable "trunk" on SFP+ port #1 one each switch before populating it?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/CBS_250_350/Administration-Guide/cbs-250-ag/vlan-management.html

Or any else I have to enable or take care of before I try next?

Update:
It works, I got two Cisco CBS250-24P-4X interconnected, each with one single 10Gtek SFP+ SR Multimode Modul "AXS85-192-M3” in SFP+ port #1, plus compatible LC-LC OM3 50/125 multimode fiber patch cable.

Reason (I guess): Both switches are still unchanged on DHCP, BUT got same “static” IP-addresses every day beforehand via new DHCP-router!

You can close my request!

Thanks & regards
Rudi

View solution in original post