cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I can not access the switch through the console (solved)

rhohemberger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm having a problem.

I can not access the switch through the console. The web interface is working properly.

Model: SRW224g4

Below some pictures.

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

The HyperTerminal settings

Sem título.jpg

error:

Sem título2.jpg

If anyone can help me?

Thank you and excuse the bad English.

6 Replies 6

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rumen, when setting up hyperterminal, you need to choose the COM port. The baud is 38400 and no flow control.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

When setting up hyperterminal, the option to select the COM port does not exist, only tcp / ip (ssh) or tcp / ip (winsock).

Note: In the second photo, we can see how cable is connected. The tip with the DB9 connector is connected to the switch and the other end to the RJ45 connector is connected to the notebook.

I checked the manual and it also recommends the settings you recommended me.

I think something is wrong and has to do with this cable (the cable is new) or some setting I have missed

Thank you Tom.

- Rumenigue.

Yep, need to install the driver to make a virtual com on your computer. I use a usb -> serial adapter. It wouldn't work until I downloaded vendor's driver.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

One thing I found strange is that in all other models switch the cable is reversed. The switch is connected to the RJ45 and DB9 is connected to the PC.

I have an adapter here, I'll try to use it.

Thank you

- Rumenigue.

Hello Rumenigue,

It looks to me like you are using a console cable.  The reason you usually see them the other way around is because with a console cable the RJ-45 end goes into the device (an ethernet jack labeled console) whereas on this switch the console port is serial itself. 

Usually the serial end of the cable you have plugs into a USB to serial adapter (because most computers today don't have serial ports anymore) and that USB connection goes into your PC, creating the virtual COM port you need in HyperTerminal.

So if you get a USB to Serial adapter you could plug that from USB to the console port, or if you computer has a serial port of its own just connect a serial cable directly from the PC to the switch, then use HyperTerminal with the settings recommended above by Tom.

Hope I have helped,

Christopher Ebert

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

Hello to all,

Good news, I solve the problem. Below is what I did:

Cables:

DB9( female ) -DB9( female )                         USB - DB9(male)

Connecting the switch to pc

Installed to the USB drive and did the settings of Hyper Terminal and finally worked.

Thank you Tom and Christopher.

- Rumenigue

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X