cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I got one SF 300-48 layer 3 switch I tried to configure to use vlans for private use.I can't get the vlan settings

tharushan
Level 1
Level 1

I got one SF 300-48 layer 3 switch I tried to configure to use it in the office network.Unfortunately I'm unable to configure the VLAN settings.I need port one for input(VLAN2),port 7-15 for another vlan(vlan3) also need to connect with the vlan 4.port 15 is another vlan(vlan4) this is for wireless.

Other ports are static.It doesn't get any connections with other vlans.

I wish to know how to configure vlans in GUI mode.I tried , But I can't get the Vlan setting correctly.Also,I need to know how to communicate both vlans in GUI mode

Please help me.I need it urgent

8 Replies 8

Tarquin Joseph
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Are you trying to route between the VLANs or just  trying to configure the VLANs on the switch.

IF you are trying to route between the VLANs, the switch must be set to operate in L3 mode. From the Console Menu navigate to  Switch Main Menu > System Mode>Layer 3.  Let me say that I think it's really a great oversight to place this important portion of the switch's feature configuration so deep in the administrative guide of the document.

Please note from the guide:

Switching from one layer mode to another requires a mandatory reboot, and the startup configuration of the switch will be deleted.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Input" for VLAN 2.  To associate a port with a VLAN, first create the VLANs that you need to use (VLAN 2, VLAN 3 and VLAN 4).  If you are using Layer 3 mode, ensure that you have an IP address for use on the IPv4 interface for each of the three VLANs.  See the "Creating VLANs" section of the administration guide.

Follow the instructions in the "Defining VLAN Membership" portion of the Administration Guide. Get it here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/78-19308-01.pdf

Don't forget to create your default route if you need these networks to communicate beyond each other, e.g. the Internet.

Regards,

T.

hay and thanks for the info but i have the same switch SF 300 48 port and i couldn't find

Switch Main Menu > System Mode>Layer 3

so i did an firmware upgrade to 1.1.2.0 but yet i couldn't find the submenu system mode.

i use web access to the switch, and i dont know am i doing it in the wrong way? or there is something in my switch?

You have to login through CLI

You will see something like:

hostname#

issue menu

Switch Main Menu

================

1. System Configuration Menu

2. Port Status

3. Port Configuration

4. System Mode

5. Help

0. TextView CLI

Go to 4 and change it to layer 3.

Pay attention!! All Config will be lost!!

I am experiencing the same problem. I have performed the following configuration

Set switch to Layer 3 mode

Added 2 vlans  (VLAN Management -> Create VLAN)

Assigned various ports to the 2 vlans (VLAN Management -> Port to VLAN)

Assigned static IPs to each VLAN (IP config -> Management and IP interfaces -> IPv4 Interface; however I had to make these settings through the command interface because the web interface would not accept the entries, it kept locking up the switch).

With all this in place, the VLANs communicate within their subnet just fine but I cannot connect between devices on the two VLAN subnets. What is missing?

Do you have a default static route that will tell the switch where to direct the traffic out?

CLI Command:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

dmjacoby1
Level 1
Level 1

One other important thing to note is if you upgrade the firmware to 1.2.7.76, you have the ability to change from Layer 2 to Layer 3 through the GUI, under Administration>System Settings.  It still does the manditory reboot and wipes out the startup-config, but it makes things a little easier.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, post in "small business  - switches". You can move your post using the actions panel on the right.

When putting the switch in to layer 3 mode, the vlan 1 interface by default is designed to receive DHCP. You must first assign vlan 1 a static ip address. If you create a second vlan and assign an IP to the vlan 2 without making vlan 1 a static IP the switch will lock you out as it will think vlan 2 is the management vlan and there are no ports assigned to vlan 2.

config t

int vlan 1

ip address 192.168.1.254 /24

int vlan 2

ip address x.x.x.x /xx

etc

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/