cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I need a Switch

g.e.bewick
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently a student working on a project that has me designig a network for a small business. So I was hoping that someone could suggest what switch(s) I should use from the Cisco product line. I am going to need approximatley 285 ports split up between 5 floors. So I am thinking I am going to need a combination of 24 and 48 port switches. network is 100Mbps. Some of those ports are going to be for Voip, going to need VLAN. I am new to this so not sure what information you need exactly. I also need a a gateway router that can handle VoIP as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

gebewick

20 Replies 20

Hi Gerard,

Based on your diagram I would make the Switch on the 1st floor the core Layer 3 switch to remove the routing function from the firewall. A robust L3 switch can take this function on. All the edge switches on Floors 2,3,4,5 and should home run back to this switch. If it is possible for redundacny you can have 2 24 port L3 switches in the core and have redundant connections to both switches should one core switch go down. Looks like you have the 1st and 2nd floor sharing the same switch, if the cables are long enough this can be accomplished.  Hope this helps.

Kevin,

here is a diagram of what I hope is an accurate representation of what you have told me. You have done so much already but if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you take a look. Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks,

Gerard

Hi Gerard,

Looks good, your DMZ servers should connect behind the ASA instead since this will be your firewall. After that you should be good to go. Let me know if you need anything else.

Kevin

Kevin,

It is my understanding that a DMZ is between two firewalls if I move it behind the the ASA how is it protected? Once again thank you for going above and beyond the call of duty. This project would not of been the quality that it is now without your help.

Gerard

Kevin,

Just read that the ASA has an DMZ support function, from this I gather that it creates its own logical DMZ. If that is the case what model ASA would be a best fit for this network.

Gerard.

Hi Gerard,

An ASA5510 will suffice for this network. Here is a link that will have more information on the ASA's.

www.cisco.com/go/asa

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X