cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-VLAN routing\802.1Q trunking problem SGE2000P - Cisco 2821

bfinkelmeyer
Level 1
Level 1

I am evaluating the SGE and cannot get inter-VLAN routing to work using and external router via an 802.1Q trunk. I have a 2821 with 3 sub-interfaces and I'm using VLAN 1 as the native VLAN. G0/0 on the router is connected to the SGE's port G1 port. I can create VLANs, and devices within the VLANs can reach devices within their respective VLANs, but they cannot get to the router's IP address to get out to other subnets. Currently I have the port connected to the router setup as a trunk using VLAN 1, which is untagged. The SGE has the latest firmware and I have tried Access, General & Trunk port types, changed the PVID, nothing has worked for the other ports on the switch. What would have taken 2 minutes on a Cisco switch to setup has stumped me, could this be a defective switch? I have not been able to find any documentation or examples of this configuration scenario.

For reference, the router's interface config:

G0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q 1 native

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

G0/0.2

encapsulation dot1q 2

ip address 2.2.2.1 255.255.255.0

G0/0.3

encapsulation dot1q 3

ip address 3.3.3.1 255.255.255.0

Any help\direction is appreciated.

Thank You,

Burt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

alissitz
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Burt, good evening,

Have you included vlans 2 and 3 on the trunk port and ensured that they are tagged?  These should be set to tagged.  The webui can be confusing with this config / operation. 

Please check this and let me know, and if needed I will lab this up for you as well.  Do please let me know,

Andrew 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

alissitz
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Burt, good evening,

Have you included vlans 2 and 3 on the trunk port and ensured that they are tagged?  These should be set to tagged.  The webui can be confusing with this config / operation. 

Please check this and let me know, and if needed I will lab this up for you as well.  Do please let me know,

Andrew 

Andrew,

Success.

I can't believe I missed that! I incorrectly assumed that a "trunk" port would forward all VLANs unless told otherwise...

Thank you so much for the prompt, accurate reply.

No problem, have a great weekend and holiday too!

Andrew

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X