Views
Helpful
Replies

inter-vlan routing on SLM2024

web_oracle3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am trying to configure a 1811 router to do inter-vlan routing for my SLM2024 switch. Going thru previous posts, it advised setting one port, which is not associated with any vlans, with link aggregation. Afterwards, join that port to the vlans with tagging enabled which will be used as their trunk port. I have setup subinterfaces on one of the router's fast ethernet interfaces with dot1q encapsulation. So far the routing is still not working. Can you guys suggest anything that might be missing?

1 Reply 1

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Welcome to Cisco Community!

there is no need to make the connection in the SLM into a LAG, unless that is what you need. if you do create the LAG the 1800 router needs to also understand that it is connecting to a LAG (ether-channel) using 802.3ad, but again this is not a requirement for inter-vlan routing.

make sure that all your subnets (vlans) have the default gateway set to the sub-interface of the 1800 and that the 1800 has a default route configured (may already be configured).

so should be something like this:

ROUTER:

fa1/0.1: VLAN1 -- IP: 172.16.10.1/24 encap .1q

fa1/0.2: VLAN1 -- IP: 172.16.20.1/24 encap .1q

etc...

SWITCH:

g24: TRUNK allow VLAN 1,2,3 etc...

remember to tag all VLANs (except vlan 1 ofcourse)

Your clients will have the gateway IP of the subinterface in the router, such as 172.16.20.1 for example.

see if this is what you have and let us know.