Views
Helpful
Replies

lacp groups supported on sg200-26

mike.oneill
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm considering the Cisco SG200-26 for home use and would like to confirm the number of LACP groups supported on the switch. I saw a review site stated that this particular model only does four, even though the main Cisco site here indicates it supports 8. Can anyone confirm the capabilities?

Everything else about the switch looks pretty good so far. I was considering a NetGear switch for about $150 less, but saw this Cisco one may do 8 LACP groups.

Thanks!

-Mike.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mike,

I stated in an earlier post "Unless the datasheet on the 200 series product is absolutely incorrect, which i would doubt,"

You are absolutely correct , I followed up with the  Product Manager (PM) regarding your findings and  he has confirmed your comments are correct .

PM has requested that the datasheet be altered to reflect 4 LACP groups.

Most sorry for your inconvenience and thank you for your  willingness to try to resolve this situation.

regards Dave.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mike,

Unless the datasheet on the 200 series product is absolutely incorrect, which i would doubt, it does state;

Port grouping

Support for IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP)

• Up to 8 groups

• Up to 4 ports per group with 16 candidate ports for each (dynamic) 802.3ad link aggregation

But why so many aggregation groups for a home use switch, dare i ask what you are doing?

regards Dave

Thanks. If it's not, I'll call in to the support line to complain or at least have them correct the datasheet. In any case, four will suffice, but more would be better.

I guess when I said "home use" I was understating what I was going to be using it for. I've got five computers. Two are being used as KVM nodes with nvidia cuda capable video cards to be later used for experimentation. Then the other three are filled with hard drives. One will be used as the main node using mdadm to raid the drives together and share LVM slices over iscsi to the two KVM nodes.

For those not in the know, KVM is similar to ESXi. Though much more powerful being fully open source. It's certainly harder to use but works better for me.

I'll be not only using a virtualized firewall and file server on these KVM nodes, but also doing research and experimentation with honeypots and other tools to see how worms spread and talk home.

The higher speed available will be mostly used in reverting snapshots of OSes and overall a snappier use for home computers. Currently these computers have many network cards connecting to eachother and work fairly well this way. Even if I don't get to bond all of them I'll still be able to do more with vlans and manage/monitor everything a whole lot easier.

I'll likely post back in about a week or so with whether it has support for the advertised 8 or only 4.

As I suspected, it does only support 4 LAG groups. Should I call in to the support hotline to get them to correct the datasheet?

Hi Mike,

I stated in an earlier post "Unless the datasheet on the 200 series product is absolutely incorrect, which i would doubt,"

You are absolutely correct , I followed up with the  Product Manager (PM) regarding your findings and  he has confirmed your comments are correct .

PM has requested that the datasheet be altered to reflect 4 LACP groups.

Most sorry for your inconvenience and thank you for your  willingness to try to resolve this situation.

regards Dave.

Thanks, Dave, for following up on this. Good support like this is why I chose Cisco over other brands.

Cheers,

Mike.

It has not been changed as of yet. I bought this exact switch because i was led to belive that this would support 8 LAG groups only to find out after receiving it that it only supports 4 LAG groups. This is not for home use and i need more than 4 LACP LAG groups. So now i either have to go through the hassle of returning it or try to figure out a way to use this switch with our other switches that do not support LACP.

Please update your data sheet ASAP as it has another victim in me. Again the main reason i bought this switch was that i thought it supported more than 4 LACP LAG groups.

Support for IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP)

• Up to 8 groups

• Up to 4 ports per group with 16 candidate ports for each (dynamic) 802.3ad link aggregation

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps11229/data_sheet_c78-634369.html

Hi  Michael

Datasheet is being changed, you are correct today the datasheet shows the 200 series supporting 8 LAG groups. That is incorret.

The product Manager has put in a request for a change, it seems to be taking a while.

Dave