Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP/LAG with Cisco Small Business SG300-28P & Cisco smb pro esw-540-24p

iano123456
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Wondering if anyone has setup a LAG using LACP between the followning switches and how best to configure:

Cisco Small Business SG300-28P & Cisco SMB PRO ESW-540-24p

My environment consist of 2 Vmware servers, the servers are connected to the SAN using seperate dedicated stacked switches for iSCSI.

I wish to use the two switches above for standard network traffic but need the switches to be linked for redundancy (if one switch completely fails I can still have LAN traffic over the auxillary switch.)

Would creating a LAG and using LACP between these switches provide me with the redundancy required.

Neither of the switches support stacking modules, however they do support 802.3ab, link aggregation and LACP/LAG

Thanks In Advance

1 Reply 1

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ian, in my opinion it is better off to use static LAG without LACP. You may configure the channel groups for LACP and it shouldn't be any problem but if you mess up the configuration it will make a switch loop. It's a more conservative practice just using a static LAG and avoid any possible troubleshooting.

LAGS in themselves can create redundancy, sure, also the benefit of more throughput between the switches. You can even set up a second LAG between switches and let spanning-tree block one of them if you'd like a lot more redundancy.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/