cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Latest Firmware for SG300 HW V04

Jet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I just want to know where to download the latest firmware and boot images for SG300 on v04 hardware version.  The release notes of fw1.4.8.6 available at the product support site made no mention on hardware version other than v01 and v02 - see snippet below.

"This firmware runs on two different versions of hardware for the 200 Series Smart Switches, and the 300 Series Managed Switches. There is a single version of hardware for the 500 and ESW2 series switches."

I wonder if it is safe to use the firmware/boot images available on the download site and the release notes wasn't updated to include hardware versions other than v01 and V02.  Or there's a separate software downloads for v04 devices that I'm just not aware of. 

Hope someone can point me to the right direction here. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have that version running on my V03 SG300. You will be safe to install it.

You will always have two boot images installed anyway, so rolling back is easy to do.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have that version running on my V03 SG300. You will be safe to install it.

You will always have two boot images installed anyway, so rolling back is easy to do.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb Rupik, do you also have the 1.3.5.06 version as your boot image?

Yes, you need that installed to go beyond the v1.3.5 firmware.

Hello, I just wanted to thank you for your post because I ran into this same issue now, June 21, 2020 with the most recent firmware released for the SG300. It has identical messaging about running on 2 hardware revs where one of my SG300-10 s is reporting HW rev 04. Being one to err on the side of caution as this is my own out of pocket expenditure with no warranty or support agreement, I was not inclined to proceed until I clarified this confusing sh*tuation. So, THANK YOU!

My only lingering question is which version did you use? If you have HW rev 03, did you use the image for HW rev 01 because they are odd numbers or did you use the image for HW rev 02 because both 02 and 03 are higher than 01? Or maybe some other reasoning applies. like you inpected the values that represent the difference between the 2 versions: the number of MAC addresses, VLANs and Multicast Groups?

I look forward to your answer. In the meantime, I will try to derive the best answer myself. You also encouraged me by reminding the other person who asked this question 2+ years ago that there is dual-firmware loaded, so you can revert to the backup image and still boot (hopefully, anyways) if you load an incorrect image. Thanks again! 

Regards, Timoteo

Hi Timoteo,

I no longer have access to that SG300 so cannot reliably comment in 2020...but I've yet to come across a piece of kit where the hardware revision numbers had any effect on which software download I could use.

Software releases are tied to platforms and models. Hardware revision are tweaks at the PCB&component level which should ensure backward compatibility.

cheers,

Seb.

Hey Seb,

Thanks for your reply. I'm with you on that. Perhaps they originally didn't
take full advantage of the existing hardware in the early firmware
releases. Perhaps it's specific to the smaller switches... mine were
SG300-10 s. THe values that changed were Total number of MAC addresses,
VLANs and Multicast groups, so maybe they thought on small switches they
didn't need to maximize it. But wait. The firmware is for the entire line,
correct? So from 8or 10 ports up to 48 or 52. Hmmm I don't know. I try to
reason through engineering choices, but sometimes I just gotta admit "I
don't know".

I wasn't thinking of it quite as objectively as you put it. You state
clearly that hey, HW revs are just tweaks to PCBs so you're not gonna toast
anything whereas despite knowing that info I'm coming from, "I just spent
my hard-earned cash on these devices to accomplish some specific goals and
if I make a poor judgement and toast something I have no warranty or
service agreement to get me going again, so the result is either more
out-of-pocket cash spent or or potentially not accomplishing my objectives
for which I bought the gear.

Anyway, thank you for your input. Much appreciated! I learned something.
Well, realistically, I re-learned something from a slightly different
perspective. Read release notes. If confused by something in there, chill
out and go back a few revs and read the release notes. In this case, things
persisting through the versions woulda been a tip-off.

Regards,
Timoteo
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X