Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 switch as a Gateway

Okami11
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning 

I have a  single SG350 switch connected to a Modem-route. I want to disconnect the router from the switch and that all PC's communicate with each other using the switch, as they do not require Internet connectivity. I wonder if that can be done and how I come about to do it ?  Do I only need to post the gateway on the PC's to the switch or do I need to do some other additional changes on the Switch ??

Thanks for your answers

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mohsin Alam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If all the PC belong in same subnet then just connect and no need to configure anything on switch or else if different subnet you need to do inter vlan routing.

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##

View solution in original post

marioiram
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Okami11  

It should be possible if you want only the PCs to communicate with each other just remember if you're not doing static IPs, you'll have to create the DHCP pool on the switch so that it can assign IPs to new PCs, if not just make sure you configure the right VLAN on the switch (layer 2 and layer 3) and configure the correct IP, subnet mask and gateway on the PCs and switch should be able to handle the routing.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mohsin Alam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If all the PC belong in same subnet then just connect and no need to configure anything on switch or else if different subnet you need to do inter vlan routing.

marioiram
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Okami11  

It should be possible if you want only the PCs to communicate with each other just remember if you're not doing static IPs, you'll have to create the DHCP pool on the switch so that it can assign IPs to new PCs, if not just make sure you configure the right VLAN on the switch (layer 2 and layer 3) and configure the correct IP, subnet mask and gateway on the PCs and switch should be able to handle the routing.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X