Views
Helpful
Replies

Linking Cisco SF 102-24\MGSX1 to a 100mb Media Converter

JosephJames2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just purchased a Cisco SF 102-24 unmanaged 100 series swith with a MGBSX1 mini-Gbic converter.  My goal is to connect this to a building that is connected with a Black Box LH1706A-ST media converter that has 100mb ST fiber connections.  In my testing the Black Box shows both a Fiber link and RJ45 port link at 100mb, but the MGBSX1 does not show any link lights or traffic.  So a computer connected to the Cisco switch is not able to communicate over the fiber connection. 

Can the MGBSX1 be connected to a media converter that only has 10/100 ST fiber connectors?  Thank you for any helpful advice.

2 Replies 2

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Joseph,

What you have is a mismatch in the speeds with the mgbsx1 and the 10/100 st fiber connector you have.  You would need something like the MFEFX1 gbic.  It is the 10/100 multimode transceiver that small busines has.

Hi Joseph,

My Colleague, the very excellent David Carr wasn't aware of this,  but the 100 series switch  only support 1000Mbit/sec speeds on SFP's  not 100M/bit/sec. 

So you cannot plug in our MFEFX1 into the SF102-24.  It just wont work, a MGBLX1 would, but I guess you have Multimode 62.5um or 50um  fiber in place.

We are updating the QSG for the modules with an updated compatibility list  so that this issue doesn't come up again..

My apologies for this .

So if you want to run 100FX speeds for up to 2Kilometers, between my switch and the Black box media convertor, my suggestion is to get a second media convertor.

Again my apologies, I only found this out from the Product Manager 3 days ago.

regards Dave