cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys SRW2024 testing port speed (faulty ports)

Hello all,

i am running two SRW2024 switches. I am expriencing very drastic deviations between write and read speeds:

WriteSpeed (Client to Server): 600 MBit

ReadSpeed (Server to Client): 40 MBit !!!!

Server and Client are connected to the same switch.

Could you please point me to a tool (Win Application) to test if all the ports of the switch are working properly or does the swtich have some kind of internal diag tool? Could you please give me some point of advise what to check next? Thanks for you help.

Gerd

5 Replies 5

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Gerd, if you connect the server directly to the client do you see the same behavior?

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom, good idea. Thougth about that too but couldn´t disconnect the server from the switch because the clients where still working on it. But i will consider this next. Do you know if this switch has some kind of internal diagnostic tool to check if the ASIC´s are OK? Regards Gerd

Hi Gerd,

The switch does not have a specific output for the mbps. You can check various things like TCAM to see if it is high. CPU utilization isn't much considered because the switch is hardware switching traffic in layer 2. I'm not sure if oversubscription comes in to play here but I'm assuming not. I don't know if there is an ASIC control per port or per group of ports.

The best thing I could say is to find out what works and what doesn't work and depending how things like, we can make a conclusion. If a point to point connection with the sevrer has the same behavior, it is what we can expect. If you make a point to point connection through another device such as a router or different switch, is there the same behavior? If you change computers accessing the server, same issue? Swapping out wires, same issues?

You can establish a baseline behavior with what works and doesn't work then you know what to expect and where is the breakdown. Of course, also can verify the switch is on the latest firmware, can be as simple as a software issue on the switch.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, post in "small business - switches". You can move your post using the actions panel on the right.

Hi Paolo,

thanks for pointing this out. Just moved the topic to this group.

Gerd