Views
Helpful
Replies

Management Interface- Cisco SF300

xxxjogxxx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I got question about Cisco SF300-24P- is it possible to have management vlan in other vlan than in default vlan?

I have default vlan 10 and voice vlan 20, I need to reach switch through voice vlan so I need to set up

interface vlan 20 with ip address. I ask these, because in gui, under Management Interface, IPv4 interface

under Management VLAN, I can only choose vlan 10, which is my default vlan, I dont have option to set

up, in this case, vlan 20 as management vlan.

Thx!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Asfa,

I do agree with jasbryans recent reply.to a similar question by you.

Since the default VLAN is usually untagged,  any VLAN tags are not propogated from the switch, so as far as other switches or vlan aware routers are concerned,  making vlan10 the default vlan seems not that important. within this switch VLAN1 can be excluded from a port and VLAN10 could be untagged on all ports, if that's what you want.

But I'll answer your question, by default, the switch is in layer 2 mode. You are presented with the following screen to be able to alter where the management VLAN resides. 

Note:The management VLAN may not be that important when the switch is in Layer 3 mode  as any IP address assiciated with a vlan could be used for management purposes.

But,  you also have the option if you want to alter the default vlan on a switch  as per the following screen capture;

by altering the default VLAN,  the following will behavior will occur;

• When the VID of the default VLAN is changed, the switch performs the following on all the ports in the VLAN, after saving the configuration and rebooting the switch:

• Removes VLAN membership of the ports from the original default VLAN (possible only after reboot).

• Changes the PVID (Port VLAN Identifier) of the ports to the VID of the new default VLAN.

• The original default VLAN ID is removed from the switch. To be used, it must be recreated.

• Adds the ports as untagged VLAN members of the new default VLAN.

If the switch is in Layer 3 mode,  just about any IP interface associated with a VLAN can be a management interface.

If you have any trouble contact the good folks at Small Business Support center, and refer them to this posting.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

regards Dave

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Asfa,

I do agree with jasbryans recent reply.to a similar question by you.

Since the default VLAN is usually untagged,  any VLAN tags are not propogated from the switch, so as far as other switches or vlan aware routers are concerned,  making vlan10 the default vlan seems not that important. within this switch VLAN1 can be excluded from a port and VLAN10 could be untagged on all ports, if that's what you want.

But I'll answer your question, by default, the switch is in layer 2 mode. You are presented with the following screen to be able to alter where the management VLAN resides. 

Note:The management VLAN may not be that important when the switch is in Layer 3 mode  as any IP address assiciated with a vlan could be used for management purposes.

But,  you also have the option if you want to alter the default vlan on a switch  as per the following screen capture;

by altering the default VLAN,  the following will behavior will occur;

• When the VID of the default VLAN is changed, the switch performs the following on all the ports in the VLAN, after saving the configuration and rebooting the switch:

• Removes VLAN membership of the ports from the original default VLAN (possible only after reboot).

• Changes the PVID (Port VLAN Identifier) of the ports to the VID of the new default VLAN.

• The original default VLAN ID is removed from the switch. To be used, it must be recreated.

• Adds the ports as untagged VLAN members of the new default VLAN.

If the switch is in Layer 3 mode,  just about any IP interface associated with a VLAN can be a management interface.

If you have any trouble contact the good folks at Small Business Support center, and refer them to this posting.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

regards Dave

Hello David and thank you for yours answer,

well I made confusion with mgmt VLAN, because I created another vlan- vlan 20 but I couldnt make it MGMT vlan,

I had only options for vlan 1 to be mgmt vlan, reasons for that was that I didnt join any interface to newly created vlan,

after I joined some interface to vlan 20, I had option to put mgmt address to vlan 20!

Thx again!

Hi, The same issue happened with me only that after i join ports to the newly joined Vlan for mgmt perpuse and when changing the management ip address to vlan lets say 99 and new ip address i lose connectivity with the switch and never comes back only after i reboot the switch and lose the unsaved configuration.

how to solve this issue? and why can't i recontrole it after it took the new mgmt vlan?

Hi Emotive, make sure to assign at least 1 port to vlan 99 untagged before making any changes.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X