Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help configuring voice VLAN in SG300

telecastle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have spent too much time on this now and need help. I am trying to configure a voice VLAN on an SG300-28p switch. I need to instruct a Cisco 7965 phone connected to a port on SG300-28p to use VLAN 100, and a workstation connected to the Cisco 7965 phone to use be placed on VLAN 101 by SG300-28p. In regular Cisco IOS switches, this task is configured as follows:

interface gi25

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 101

switchport voice vlan 100

Trying to achieve this scenario with a Cisco SG300 switch is turning into a nightmare. You have to deal with a Dynamic Voice VLAN set to the Auto Voice VLAN mode. Then, you have to have a trigger configured and Auto Smartport enabled. I have tried to do this in CLI to no avail. The Cisco 7965 receives an IP from the access VLAN on interface Gi15, which is VLAN 101. I need it to receive an IP from VLAN 100.

The current configuration under interface Gi15 is as follows:

interface gigabitethernet15

storm-control broadcast enable

storm-control broadcast level kbps 10

storm-control include-multicast

port security discard trap 60

port security max 10

port security mode max-addresses

spanning-tree portfast

lldp med disable

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 101

!next command is internal

macro auto smartport dynamic_type unknown $native_vlan 101 $voice_vlan 100

Now, I have no idea how the macro auto smartport dynamic_type unknown $native_vlan 101 $voice_vlan 100 command got in the config, and I don't know how to remove it.

When I try to enter the macro auto smartport type ip_phone_desktop command under interface Gi15, I get the following error message:

Macro parameter $voice_vlan is not user configurable

It appears as though the standard auto smartport macro ip_phone_desktop cannot apply the $voice_vlan parameter with the value 100. As a matter of fact, I am not explicitly using this parameter at all in the macro auto smartport type ip_phone_desktop command; however, the SG300 switch knows that the its voice VLAN is VLAN 100, and as it is trying to use this VLAN ID as the value of the $voice_vlan parameter, the macro fails.

I tried to statically configure the voice VLAN on the SG300 switch by using the voice vlan id 100 command, but I could not get the ip_phone_desktop macro to configure inerface Gi15 properly. Then, I removed the voice vlan id 100 command and got SG300 to learn its voice VLAN ID from UC560 connected to SG300 via a trunk port based on the following UC560's trunk port (connected to SG300) configuration:

switchport trunk native vlan 101

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 100

macro description cisco-switch

It is the switchport voice vlan 100 command that advertises to SG300 via CDP that VLAN 100 is a voice VLAN. When I issue the show voice vlan local command on the SG300, I get the following output:

VLAN-ID     VPT     DSCP     Source     MAC Address     Interface

1                    5          46       default           ----                    ---

*100                                        CDP     e0:5f:b9:xx:yy:zz     gi28

So, it is clear that the SG300 is receiving information from UC560 via CDP into port Gi28 that VLAN 100 is the voice VLAN. Nevertheless, I still cannot apply the ip_phone_desktop macro to SG300's interface Gi15.

By the way, I have tried to configure voice vlan state auto-triggered as well as voice vlan state auto-enabled global configuration mode commands. Neither setting changes anything vis-a-vis voice VLAN advertised to Cisco 7965 in that Cisco 7965 continues to use VLAN101 (access VLAN assigned to interface Gi15).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

Hello telecastle,

The Macro's just get in the way most of the time. From a default state on the switch a user will set the voice vlan id with the commands

(config)#voice vlan id 100

** this will create vlan 100

voice vlan ? ** you can use to change your default dscp and cos settings a long with any other settings.

(config)#voice vlan state auto-enabled

(config)#interface range fa1-24

(config-if-range)#switchport trunk native vlan 101

(config-if-range)#switchport trunk allowed vlan add 100

** this will set the native vlan on the trunk port to 101 for data and the tagged vlan will be 101 for voice.

CDP is automatically enabled and should learn the capabilities of the phone and join the phone to vlan 101 on that port.

CDP from the UC should automatically populate the SG switch. You may need to upgrade the switch to the latest firmware though. Also make sure the DHCP server for the voice if the UC needs to be setup accordingly.

Let me know if that helps.

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

Hello telecastle,

The Macro's just get in the way most of the time. From a default state on the switch a user will set the voice vlan id with the commands

(config)#voice vlan id 100

** this will create vlan 100

voice vlan ? ** you can use to change your default dscp and cos settings a long with any other settings.

(config)#voice vlan state auto-enabled

(config)#interface range fa1-24

(config-if-range)#switchport trunk native vlan 101

(config-if-range)#switchport trunk allowed vlan add 100

** this will set the native vlan on the trunk port to 101 for data and the tagged vlan will be 101 for voice.

CDP is automatically enabled and should learn the capabilities of the phone and join the phone to vlan 101 on that port.

CDP from the UC should automatically populate the SG switch. You may need to upgrade the switch to the latest firmware though. Also make sure the DHCP server for the voice if the UC needs to be setup accordingly.

Let me know if that helps.

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Hi,

Also please don't forget when you upgrade the firmware to 1.1.1.8 on SG300 the Switches needs to be factory defaulted

you shouldn't have to configure further configuration for voice. I have seen many customer spend hours trying to make it work after the upgrade and just needed to default the switch. Since CDP was a add-on it doesn't work properly unit a reset.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

Randy and Jasbryan, Thanks for this info.  I will try it and report if this worked.

The solution Randy suggested is akin the old-style configuration of Cisco CLI switches for voice and data VLAN - that is configuring a trunk on the port connected to a Cisco IP phone instead of configuring the port the way I listed in the beginning of my post. It makes sense to try it this way.

My opinion of the Smartport feature that it is a disaster. It makes everything way too complicated; besides, it does not seem to work. Do you know how to remove the macro auto smartport dynamic_type unknown $native_vlan 101 $voice_vlan 100 command from under interface Gi15? I have no idea how it got there, and I can't figure out the way to remove it.

Randy, could you please relay to the proper department that an update to the SG200/SG300 Administration Guide as well as to the SG300 CLI Administration Guide is badly needed? The SG300 GUI Administration Guide is a disaster - it was written by someone who does not know proper English grammar, and it is impossible to understand. The CLI Administration Guide seems to be written better, but it does not have enough information on configuring voice VLANs. All in all, the savings that SG300 provides compared to 2960 switches arecompletely undone by the amount of time it takes to configure simple settings in CLI on this switch for someone who comes from the Cisco enterprise background. I would much rather advise my customers to purchase 2960 switches, which I can set up and configure in 15 minutes, than spend days trying to read through confusing Cisco Smass Business Pro switch manuals to be able to figure all these SG200/SG300 features that are extremely bizzare and don't quite work. I haven't even delved into QoS in SG300 yet, but I already fear what a disaster that is going to be.

Oh my goodness yes. After coming from a Cisco enterprise background, trying to figure these things out is simply horrid. A better guide is absolutely necessary -- and I'm not sure why the smartport feature is there at all. 

The result of my testing of the solution suggested by Randy is as follows: it worked!

The solution works with both the voice VLAN configured locally on the SG300 switch, using the voice vlan id command, and when the SG300 receives the voice VLAN ID from the UC560. Additionally, both the voice vlan state auto-enabled and voice vlan state auto-triggered commands seem to send the correct voice VLAN to the Cisco 7960 via CDP. I'm not sure what the difference between this two commands is, and if someone knows, please let me know by posting this information in this thread.

I still cannot remove the macro auto smartport dynamic_type unknown $native_vlan 101 $voice_vlan 100 command from under one of the SG300 interfaces or remove the macro auto smartport dynamic_type unknown command from another SG300 interface. If someone knows how to do this, please post it here as well. These commands is the result of me trying to configure Smartports from the GUI of Cisco SG300.

Finally, does anyone know what the command no macro auto smartport does when configured under an SG300 interface? It appears that the default command is macro auto smartport under any interface of SG300, and when this command is configured, nothing shows in the running config file. When the no macro auto smartport command is configured under an SG300 interface, this commad shows up in the running config. My goal is to disable any Smartport functionality on this switch. I want to get it to operate as close to an IOS switch as possible.

Thanks again!

Hi, I had the same issue. I found this in the CLi guide. It was very frustrating for me also.

Example

Changes the Smartport type from unknown to default and resumes the Smartport

feature on port 1.

switchxxxxxx(config)interface gi1/1/1

switchxxxxxx(conf-if)#macro auto resume

What about the phone is non Cisco and since configuration is getting changed in the ports we have disabled the smart port completely.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X