cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need more than 4 LAGs on SG 200-50

FBSIT1830
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased a SG 200-50 managed L2 gigabit switch to replace a smaller Netgear GSM7224 24 port Managed L2 gigabit switch that's used for the backbone/main switch for the company network. On the Netgear, I had multiple LAGs setup for downlinks to managed switches in other parts of the building along with all our servers. In total, I had 10 LAGs; 5 for servers and 5 for switch downlinks. I simply ran out of ports on the Netgear so the SG-200-50 was a perfect upgrade.

Unfortunately, after installing and somewhat configuring the switch I noticed I only had the option of making LAG 1-4. I upgraded to the newest firmware in hopes that I'd be able to get more LAGs, but no dice. In all the research I did nowhere did I find the switch only supported a maximum of 4 LAGs! I mean, who does that? 50 ports and you can only setup four LAGs? So right now I have the four LAGs setup to the most important servers, and a network wire unplugged on each downlink to the other switches; so instead of the trunked downlinks I now have a single 1G to each switch effectively cutting my network speed in half.

What do I have to do in order to enable more than 4 LAGs? Yeah, I can create a 4+ port LAG to the Netgear, but that defeats the WHOLE purpose of getting this 50-port switch (I could have just gotten another GSM7224 instead). I'd return this and get our money back, but a 20% restocking fee on a $700 switch is obnoxious.

3 Replies 3

FBSIT1830
Level 1
Level 1

TTT

Would like some help on this.

nimusell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Thank you for participating in the Small Business support community. My name is Nico Muselle from Cisco Sofia SBSC.

I'm afraid Sx200 (Smart) Switches only support 4 LAGs. This is a product limitation. You can find this information in the administration guide (find it here) on page 81. There is no way to upgrade this number.

The Sx300 series switches (fully managed) support up to 8 LAGs.

Hope you found this information useful.

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Sr. Network Engineer - CCNA

Yes, I realize that now after purchasing the item - it wasn't listed anywhere on the product page when I was researching. I'm not interested in buying a several thousand dollar layer 3 switch to only support 8 LAGs when I still need 10. I think I'll be returning this and buying another Netgear.

Lesson learned, buy a Netgear.