cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

new to cisco sg-300, assistance with VOIP/VLAN setup

vintage_car
Level 1
Level 1

I'm quite new to the cisco managed switches. we have a customer who is wanting to integrate a VOIP solution into their existing network. They have cisco sg-300-28 switches at their offices. From what I understand this VOIP solution doesn;t use IP phones, rather some conversion happens with the PBX, and they retain their existing phones. The phone vendor said he needed 172.16.0.1 as a gateway for his phone system and one PC that could use that IP address to access the phone systems web interface. The customers existing network is a 10.245.1.x network.

I have read through the the VLAN documentation and I'm thinking that is the route I need to take, by enabling the voice vlan and then designating a port on the switch to associate that voice traffic to. I was going to use port 25 on the switch. do I need to make any changes to the voice vlan settings or will the factory defaults work? How do I assign 172.16.0.1 to port 25? Do I need to do anything with the data network to keep it seperated from the voice traffic?

thank you for the help.

1 Reply 1

Ivor Diedricks
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If I understand what you're trying to do correctly, you don' actually need to have the 172.x address configured on the switch. Create a vlan for this special out of band connection and add it to port 25 - just make the new vlan an untagged vlan on that port.  Then, the port where the pc will be plugged in to manage the PBX, do the same there. Make sure that the pc and PBX connection is on the same ip subnet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X