Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to Cisco SG300-10 as well as L3 networking, IPv4 Interfaces & Routes

This is probably more of a generic networking question than a Cisco specific question, I am trying to configure a SG300-10 switch in L3 mode so that the switch can handle certain types of traffic across interfaces (and subnets) without the need for it to pass through the firewall. With these Cisco switches is it as easy as simply adding the VLAN interfaces under the "IPv4 Interface" tab as well as add the subnets in the "IPv4 Static Routing Table" on the "IPv4 Routes" tab on the web GUI. Sorry to be asking about the web GUI, I hate web GUIs but I am new to Cisco and I'd bet that this SG300-10 is a rebrandd Linksys or something because the console does not feel like the Cisco I used to know from years past.

Thanks for any help/tips/pointers.

4 Replies 4

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Network1Operations,

Yes with your description that is pretty much what you do.

As for the console part of it the Sx300/500s were not designed with using Cisco IOS syntax.

Hope this helps,

Michael D.

If this post is helpful please rate or mark as correct.

ggrim
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon Network1Operations,

Thanks for using the Cisco Small Business Support Community!

In our Knowledge Base, I've found the following articles that will hopefully help you with setting up L3 networking on your SG300:

Layer 3 InterVLAN Routing Configuration on 300 Series Managed Switch

IPv4 Static Route Setup on the 300 Series Managed Switches

I've also found the following discussion from a few years ago that might provide some insight:

SG300-10 / Layer3 / interVLAN routing

Hope these help, and thanks again for using the Support Community!

Best,

Gunner

A few more quick guides if you're having any trouble with getting set up in Layer 3 mode:

Via CLI:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/112966/how-configure-layer-3-mode-sx300

Via Web UI:

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?login=1&pid=2&app=search&vw=1&articleid=5073

Hope this helps!

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, you have the general idea.  I couple tips:

The switches are L2 by default and you need to change them to L3 first. The CLI on these switches is similar, but not the same as IOS.  You can search the CLI guide for your model and firmware if you need to.  Also, regarding your example, you would just create VLANs, then assign IP addresses to them and importantly, if you want devices to route between VLANs the default gateway for the devices needs to be the VLAN interface IP.  Good Luck.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --