Views
Helpful
Replies

New to SGE2010P

sean-donnelly
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently in the process of configuring my first Cisco SGE2010P

switch and had a few questions as we typically use HP. I've created two VLAN's using the default as 192.168.26.1

on a /24 subnet. I then created a VLAN 10 with an IP of 192.168.1.1. I

untagged ports 46+47 for VLAN 10.

In basic testing from the 26.0/24 subnet I attempt to ping 192.168.1.1 and the ping times out. I have not yet tried to put a device behind this as I wanted to see what I could be missing first?

If you requrie additional information please let me know.

Thank you,

Sean

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nimusell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sean,

Thank you for participating in the Small Business support community. My name is Nico Muselle from Cisco Sofia SBSC.

When you tried to ping the switch VLAN 10 ip address, I suppose there was no client connected on VLAN 10 ?

This would explain why the ping is not replying. The route to VLAN10 is only added when there is at least one client in the VLAN10 network.

Please try the same thing while one client is connected to port 46 or 47, and you will see in the web interface of the switch that now a static route is added for the 192.168.1.0/24 network (local).

Try it, I'm sure it will work

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Sr. Network Engineer - CCNA

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

Is the switch in layer 2 or layer 3 mode? If in layer 2 what is doing the inter Vlan routing. If in layer 3 do you have IP address set for Vlans or ports?

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

nimusell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sean,

Thank you for participating in the Small Business support community. My name is Nico Muselle from Cisco Sofia SBSC.

When you tried to ping the switch VLAN 10 ip address, I suppose there was no client connected on VLAN 10 ?

This would explain why the ping is not replying. The route to VLAN10 is only added when there is at least one client in the VLAN10 network.

Please try the same thing while one client is connected to port 46 or 47, and you will see in the web interface of the switch that now a static route is added for the 192.168.1.0/24 network (local).

Try it, I'm sure it will work

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Sr. Network Engineer - CCNA

That recommendation worked for me and everything is routing properly now between VLAN's, your response is greatly appreciated!

You're welcome Sean, glad I could help