cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

newbie, vlan and QOS help

bhgewilson
Level 1
Level 1

Everyone, maybe I am overlooking the obvious but I am looking for some guidance.

Two networks connected by a Sonicwall point to point VPN.

VOIP system in site 1.

Phones in site 1 and 2. 

I hope to setup a VLAN for phones.

I want to setup VLAN 20 for ports 5-20 on both sites. 

The way I understand is VLAN 1 would be default on the switch.  VLAN 20 would them become a tagged member.  I guess I am having some problems getting this done.

I thought once I tag ports with VLAN 20 they would only work with each other.  So I setup my laptop on port 3 ping someting on port 6, create the vlan and setup for tagged and it stops pinging.  Same thing for port 7.  Move laptop to port 7 and I can't ping 6.  Seems like I am close but really missing something. 

Can anyone chime in?

Thanks,

Brad

3 Replies 3

Jo Kern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

set ports 5 - 20 to mode "access"

assign vlan 20 as untagged to ports 5-20

set ports 1-4 to mode "access"

assign vlan 1 to ports 1-4

set ports 21-24 to mode "trunk"

assign to port 21 VLAN 1 as untagged, VLAN 20 as tagged.

On the port of  router you need the same setting (trunk, vlan 1 untagged, vlan 20 tagged)

Alternatively connect port 1 and port 5 to the router. The two ports on the router need also to be in VLAN 1 (for port 1 connection )and in VLAN 20 (for port 5 connection) then.

This would be a start for you. There are alternatives for this setup.

One thing you need to keep in mind: If you assign a "tagged" VLAN, the device connected needs to "tag" the frames. So If you have a port with VLAN 1 untagged and VLAN 20 tagged, your phone needs to be able to "tag" 20 to the ethernet frames  to transmit in VLAN 20.

If your devices cannot "tag" frames you need to use "access" ports as described above.

Yes and on the router you also need VLAN 1 and VLAN 20 and assign ipaddressing (DHCP etc.)

The modes: Access, Trunk, General are per port settings. On one switch you tend to use access ports to connect end devices and trunk ports to interconnect two switches.

In your case the trunk port would go to the router as well. Since the router need to route the 2 ip subnets across the vpn tunnel.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X