cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phones not getting IP address via DHCP server on same VLAN

gregstalter4863
Level 1
Level 1

Hello....we have a new series of Cisco SF-200s and one new Cisco SF-300.  All switches are operating in layer 2 mode currently.  Let's say for all intents and purposes, all ports are in VLAN1....pretty much default setup.  There is a fiber backbone between uplink ports...and it is working correctly it appears.

There is a DHCP server allocating addresses 192.168.0.60 thru 192.168.0.79.  Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

PCs and laptops successfully receive an IP address and can access things.....such as surfing the internet.  Tested that from multiple switches....all seems to work just fine.

However, it seems that some newly purchased phones (Digium models) simply will not acquire an IP address like the PCs and laptops do.

Pretty broad question....but just wondering.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi  Greg,

Might be interesting to goto the following sections of the GUI disable the discovery protocols;

1. Administration>Discovery -LLDP >properties

2. Administration>Discovery -CDP >Management interface

3  Smartports >Properties > Admministrative Auto Smartports  is disabled.

the switches are real smart and may pre-empt what you are trying to achieve.

regards dave

Interesting...the ports that were NOT working did have "Auto Smartport" on their interface.  When we used the ports that were "Disabled", that seemed to work.

Question...just for future....when we disable Smartports, does the switch have to be rebooted? Just wondering if you knew....I'm remote, and didn;t have a specific chance to power cycle the switch.

Hi Greg,

Have you saved configuration  changes on the switch, otherwise they wont survive a Power on reset ?

I don't think a reset is necessary, but alternatively  i must admit i have no idea what parameters may have been retained on your digum phones.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X