Views
Helpful
Replies

POE ports dead after lightning strike

McCarthy1986
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I own a SG350X-48P. Today we had a massive thunderstorm coming through and one lightning strike must have hit my house or at least very close by. Lightning and thunder was without any delay and extremely loud. Right after the strike all my security cams went offline. They are all hooked up to that switch, and powered by the same switch through POE. They use about 60 out of 350 watt.

After rebooting the switch, 12 out of 14 cams came back. When I plug those 2 dead cams into other ports, they start up normally.

So I checked the POE port status in the settings, and port GE3, GE4, GE27 and GE28 show "Fault" under Operational
Status. What does "Fault" mean exactly? Where can I find better defined error codes?

Now the weird thing is, that the 2 dead ports are GE21 and GE22, but they show "Searching" under Operational
Status.

One of the log warnings shows: "Syslog Notification (Warning):
%Environment-W-RPS-STAT-MSG: Power supply source changed to Main Power Supply."

8 of my cams are attached outside the house, but the 2 cams that may have fried my switch are located inside my house. So I have no clue how the lightning strike manage to get into my switch.

On the power side, I have a server rack surge protector right in-front of the switch, and a UPS with its own surge protector. That being said, we have no over ground power lines. I'm pretty sure the lightning strike hit my house or a tree in my yard, and some of that high voltage electricity made it into the CAT cables in my attic, and fried 4 of those ports.

Either way. Is my switch partly fried? Are there any internal diodes / fuses on each port? Any testing I can do from the admin panel? Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

Don

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- There are no fuses  to reset (e.g.) , rest assured as your device got-over-powered-over-the-air (...), I would no longer invest too much time in diagnostics and RMA the switch.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Good Long post, nothing much any one can do about that, if you have smartnet contract, Raise an TAC case for RMA.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X