Views
Helpful
Replies

Port mirroring on SG300 questions

lamont
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm troubleshooting a LAN issue I have, and I wanted to hook up wireshark to record traffic over the course of a couple of hours for later diagnostics. I went into the web administration interface, clicked Administration > Diagnostics > Port and VLAN Mirroring, and added a port mirror from the port I wanted to watch to a port to which I had connected a laptop. I picked the Tx and Rx options, and clicked Apply.

I did receive lots of traffic in wireshark, but I noticed immediately that the server on the port I had mirrored was suddenly unavailable on the network -- pings timed out. This lasted until I removed the mirror, then the server was suddenly reachable once again.

Does this feature not work the way I had thought it does? What I saw looked more like a forward than what I would call a mirror. The documentation leads me to believe mirroring is intended to be used in just the way I was attempting to use it.

Am I missing something?

1 Reply 1

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Lamint,

I have a SG300-10P for my test,  I did the same thing you did in my GUI.

I was mirroring port 7 to port 8 ticking the item to mirror RX and TX

My PC with wireshark was residing on port 8.

I started a comtinuous oibg from my  PC on port 7 at IP address 192.168.10.60 to my WAN routers LAN address, 192.168.10.1 .

As you can see from my screen capture below, my PC on port 8 caprtured both RX and TX packets on port 7.

Because my wireshark  PC was on port 8, I could not access the management interface of the switch to show you my configuration, so I grabbed the configuration via hyperterminal.

See screen caopture below ( with some configuration items excluded)..

I would suggest, if you are having issues to allow the Small Business Support Center to assist you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Hope this helps

regards Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X