cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Printer on network

tcCiscoSG300
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to use my SG300-20 to have 2 VLANs share a single network printer.  What would be the best practice for this situation.  Right now the switch is set in L3 mode. 

I do have flexibility right now for it is not in use and willing to start again from scratch.

Thank you

4 Replies 4

praneethbvs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tom,

It should work , VLANs created can share the network printer as the switch is set to L3 Mode.

Or

Network Printer can be placed on port 1 or any other ports which are not part of the other VLANs created and by default it will be in VLAN 1. That port can be made as trunk port so that the VLANs can share the printer.

Hello Tom,

Your setup would work fine, You can put the printer in whatever VLAN you think is appropriate, and then set it's port to access with that VLAN untagged.

You said the switch was in layer 3, so inter-VLAN routing is enabled.  As long as you don't have access rules blocking those two VLANs from each other you should be able to print from clients in both.  The clients in the other VLAN or subnet will have to manually enter the IP, they won't be able to discover the printer since it won't see their broadcast in the other VLAN. 

If you do have access lists restricting data between the two VLANs you are using you can always put the printer in a third VLAN on it's own and then create custom rules that allow both VLANs into the printer VLAN without them needing to have access to each other.

Let us know how that goes.

Christopher Ebert

----

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

Thank you for your help I am working on the resolution this week and will be back if questions come up, thanks again,

"TC"

ktavadia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tom,

I hope you find these links helpful for VLAN configuration on your switch.

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=2&app=search&vw=1&articleid=80

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=2&app=search&vw=1&articleid=3699

Let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards.

Kurush Tavadia

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X