cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with balance-xor bonding on SG350XG-24T

huytq
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 switches SG350XG-24T in staking mode and 10 servers with 2 ports 10Gbps on each. These 2 ports configured as balance-xor bonding with hash policy layer3+4 and each port connected to each switch. There is not configuration for LAG and anything else.

I'm facing problems that the connection between servers is not stable. I tried ping test and saw package loss.

I hope some one may experience this case.

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Huy Tran
9 Replies 9

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Mostly this issue occurred, if your Server host is configured with teaming but EtherChannel is not implemented on the switch side. Please share server NIC configuration (host) and switch configured as well.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hi Deepak,

Sample NIC bond config:

DEVICE=bond1
NAME=bond1
TYPE=Bond
BONDING_MASTER=yes
IPADDR=172.16.1.52
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
USERCTL=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
BONDING_OPTS="mode=2 xmit_hash_policy=layer3+4 miimon=300 downdelay=300 updelay=300"
ZONE=public

There is not changes in switch configuration from default.

Thanks you,

Best Regards,
Huy Tran

Hi,

You have to configure EtherChannel on switch side also. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Hi,

You mean i should configure LAG? If yes, SG350XG-24T has 8 LAG only, how can it serve 10 servers?

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Huy Tran

Hi,

Those are virtual servers (VMWare or Hyper-V) or physical hosts? If it is virtual servers than how many physical hosts are there?

How many total cables are connected to the Switch from the servers?

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Hi Deepark,

Those are physical hosts. Each host has 2 cables, each cable is connected to one switch.

Best Regards,
Huy Tran

Hi,

First, find out some non-critical and fewer load servers and make two hosts with a Single link and other 8 will as LAG otherwise go with a higher model or another switch. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Hi Deepak,

I'm trying to take advantage of all that is available. So i will not change physical hosts or switches.

Are there any solutions which not require LAG? If problem is due to balance-xor mode, I will change bonding mode to Active/backup or balance-alb. But i cannot find any documents relate to this problem.

Best Regards,
Huy Tran

Hi,

Please check any option for "Switch-Independent" team /bonding option on your server.  Other you can go Active and Backup.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,