Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with srw224g4 and VLAN

fg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I like to sepearte a private from a business network in the same IP-range (192.168.1.0) with one Gateway (192.168.1.1).

So  I create three port-based VLANs ID10 for private (Ports 1-10), ID20 for  business (port 11-20) and ID 30 (port 23) to access a simple internet router.

All  connected devices in VLAN 10 should be seperated from ID20 and vice  versa but both VLANs should user the Internet configured at port 23.

But I can't get it working, because I have two problems:

1. if a Port is not in the default VLAN ID 1, I can not access the WebGui of the switch anymore.

2. I dont't know how to setup up port 23 ID30 to be use for both VLANs.

Any suggestion are welcome :-)

Best regards,

Frank.

PS: or does anyone knows a good document that illustrates how to configure VLANs?

2 Replies 2

tcsillag83
Level 1
Level 1

You can configure the management VLAN on the SRW224G4 under Setup/Network Settings, but it'll only accept one vlan, so use either VLAN 10 or 20.

What you're trying to do might be done with a 'community VLAN' setup, but as i know the SRW224G4 does not support that, and it's a major pain to set it up.

To make things way more simple, you should forget the 'same IP range' thing, and configure two subnets, one for private, one for business. Then set up your router for both addresses, one for each VLAN. If your router can't work with VLANs, that'd make things even more complicated. It'd be nice to know the type of your router.

Cheers,

Tamas

Hi Tamas,

thank you very much for the good suggestions.I will do it like you explained.

The router I'm using is a Draytek Vigor and it can handle VLANs.

So I split the network in two subnets and assign one subnet for the mangement of the switch.

Best regards,

Frank.