Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions on setup my SG-300-10MP switch

riderfaiz
Level 1
Level 1

hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for your help in advanced. I never been in this community before.

I just got the new SG-300 switches. My manager ordered for me. I did not know how it runs until now... not an IOS based. I really do not know how to configure it.

Anyway, I have a 3750 switch configured already in a new site. It has two vlans, one is vlan 11 for PC, and one is for VOIP vlan 320. It has auto qos running as well. I just setup a trunk for the new SG-300 switch.

Now on the new small switch SG 300...I have some questions:

1.) I also created two vlans, one is VLAN11 (for PC), and one is VLAN 320. For this one I go to the Web-GUI and assign the 320 to the VOICE Vlan. I also changed the CoS to 5 (from 6). Are these ok?

2.) On the port number 9, it is trunk by default, so I add both 11 and 320 to the trunk and leave the rest settings default. It is ok too right?

3.) On a Access port #1, which will have a IP phone attached with a PC plug in. What I did is to change the Interface Vlan mode to "GENERAL". Is that right? I also "CHECK" the Auto Voice VLAN Membership box. And the Voice VLAN QoS mode leaves it as Telephony Source MAC ADDRESS. Did I do all these right?

4.) Finally, for the QoS part...I leave them all default untouch - which is the Basic QoS defualt... I am not sure if this will be fine. I know the enterprise switch can assign an Auto-QOS command and it would do all the config itself. Or may you mind if you would share your QoS config settings?

I am more concerned about the QoS settings here. Hope you can help.

Thank you very much.

Takami Chiro

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

In the case of the Cisco 7961 (and other phones that support LLDP-MED), you can assign the VLAN settings to the phone using the LLDP-MED functions on the switch.

You have to

- enable voice vlan

- add MAC OUI

- set the port on auto voice vlan

- enable LLDP-MED globally

- create a network policy to assign VLAN320

- assign this network policy to the port the phone is connected to

Hope this helps,

regards,

Nico

View solution in original post

Hi Takami,

You can unlock the 7900 series phones hopefully with the following procedure;

step 1. Press the settings button. You will note a icon of a lock on the top right of the screen.

step 2. On my 7965 phone I selected Network Configuration.

Step 3. I pressed   * * #  to unlock or allow me to alter certain settings,

Step 4.  I scrolled down to VLAN ID  and edited the number to the vlan I wanted the phone in.

Step 5.  I pressed the Validate and then  save button to save my settings.

That should alter the VLAN the IP phone will attach to.

There is also a application note on enabling LLDP  MED on a 300 series switch  to allow  a UC500 to see attached IP phones.

see the following URL;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13573

regards Dave

Hello,

Actually there are 2 ways of having the phone assigned to the Voice Vlan (Vlan 320 in your case), the LLDP-med settings are to have the VLAN assigned to the phone settings, not to the switch.

For the switch, you can either assign VLAN320 to the port statically or have the Voice Vlan assigned dynamically to the port when a phone is connected.

The first option, assigning the Voice Vlan statically of course is the easiest way to go.

To achieve the second option, the port also must be in trunk or general mode, the voice vlan can not be assigned statically to the port, and auto voice vlan membership must be enabled on the port.

Second thing to do when trying to use this dynamical assignment, is to add the telephone's OUI (the first 3 octets of the MAC address separeted by dashes "-") to the Telephony OUI section in the switch.

This way, initially the port is not a member of the voice vlan, but when you connect a phone and the OUI of the vendor is recognized, the switch will automatically assign Vlan 320 to the port, and the phone will get it's Vlan settings through LLDP-MED. When the phone is connected, you will see that the port has automatically been added to Vlan 320.

Hope this clarifies the answer

Best regards,

Nico

That's right, if you need the LLDP-MED method as described in my post of 15. Jan 25, 2011 1:17 AM , you do not need to add the VLAN to the phone manually, it will be adapted to the phone using LLDP.

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Small Business Support Engineer.

23 Replies 23

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chiro-san,

See my answer below:

I just got the new SG-300 switches. My manager ordered for me. I did not know how it runs until now... not an IOS based. I really do not know how to configure it.  Thank you for your business, a supported CLI interface is coming out with the next version of firmware. (so i have been told)

1.) I also created two vlans, one is VLAN11 (for PC), and one is VLAN 320. For this one I go to the Web-GUI and assign the 320 to the VOICE Vlan. I also changed the CoS to 5 (from 6). Are these ok?

Yes,  but it makes no difference in my instance  as the COS to queue tab shows that both CoS 5 and 6 are set within the same egress queue.

2.) On the port number 9, it is trunk by default, so I add both 11 and 320 to the trunk and leave the rest settings default. It is ok too right?

Yes, on switch port #9,  VLAN1 traffic will be untagged, while Ethernet traffic for  vlan11 and vlan 320 must have all incoming traffic Tagged. Outgoing Ethernet frames will also be tagged for Vlan11 and 320. 

So IP phone will have to be set to run tagged Ethernet frames for one of those two vlans.  But the switch also supports LLDP-MED, which depending on your phone system might help to auto-configure the phone on a particular VLAN.

3.) On a Access port #1, which will have a IP phone attached with a PC plug in. What I did is to change the Interface Vlan mode to "GENERAL". Is that right? 

I personally do not use General mode, and it's usage seems quite unique.

When I went to VLAN Management  > Interface Settings, I  then selected  the help option at the top right of the GUI.

This then brings up specific help for that displayed options.  It says for general mode "General—The interface can support all functions as defined in the IEEE 802.1q specification. The interface can be a tagged or untagged member of one or more VLANs"

I personally prefer trunk mode,  as General mode might allow two vlans to be untagged on switch port #1.  I don't think that is what you want, but General mode still does allow multiple tagged VLANs to be associated with Switch port #1.  So it's really  not a problem. Having the port in trunk mode allows for one untagged vlan (default VLAN1)  and one or more tagged VLANs.

I.

I also "CHECK" the Auto Voice VLAN Membership box. And the Voice VLAN QoS mode leaves it as Telephony Source MAC ADDRESS. Did I do all these right?  yes

4.) Finally, for the QoS part...I leave them all default untouch - which is the Basic QoS defualt... I am not sure if this will be fine. I know the enterprise switch can assign an Auto-QOS command and it would do all the config itself. Or may you mind if you would share your QoS config settings?

The default settings set on my SG300-10P  ( order p/n SRW2008P-K9) is shown below.  Notice I could  have the option to trust DSCP or COS settings coming into the switch.

I am more concerned about the QoS settings here. Hope you can help.

Thank you very much.

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your response! You helped me to clarify some of my questions... May I ask little further/more?

On my Q2, if I need to plug a phone attached with a PC to port 1, so is the TRUNK only my option (forget about General)? And should not use Access mode? But if I assign Trunk, it did not let me check the Auto Voice Vlan Membership and gave me an error saying Port is Static and can't be candidate in Voice Vlan 320...does it make sense?

In my case, I have 3 vlans, 11 for servers, 12 for PC, and 320 VOICE(assign it as VOICE in the small switch). And I think we leave the default vlan as the Native, which is 1. So should I tag the 3 vlans I talk about? (sorry if I keep repeating)

The reason I ask now.... after my first attempt, is that my ip phone and PC are using the same vlan 12...which is not what I want.

Let's say, forget about the voip for this question... if I want to a port to be the PC Vlan 12 in access mode, then I need to join the port to VLAN 12 as untaged right?

So what did I do wrong? I am studying CCNP switch too and now I just found out I am too confused on the terminology wise...

Hope you can help me on my question.

Thank you again.

Hi,

Good afternoon....

I just tried so many times, and still not work. It worked...in fact, but not the way it should be....

Port settings #1

I set it up as Trunk with vlan 12 untaged, and 320 Tagged (voice vlan). I plugged in a phone iwth a pc attached. The phone would work. But the phone will get to the vlan 12 to get the DHCP address, but no from vlan 320. The PC works with correct vlan ip.

Port settings #2

Trunk with vlan 1UP, 12T, and 320T. THe phone is even worse. Would never pick up any IP from DHCP.

Port settings #3

Access with 320U...of course the phone will work... and the PC could not get to its own vlan. Instead, the PC got an ip from the voice vlan. Not from VLAN 12.

Or in order to make both the phone and the PC get a DHCP IP from their own vlan, what do I need to do with the port settings? So that it is equipvalent to switch access vlan 12 and switchport access voice vlan 320?

Thank you very much!! Hope you can help.

Takami Chiro

Hi,

Just to be curious, what are the phones that you are connecting to the SG-300-10MP switch ? When the port is in trunk mode, you need to configure your phone in this way that it uses Vlan 320 and that the PC port on the phone is configured in the data vlan.

These settings need to be done manually on the phone itself.

Regards,

Nico

Hi Nico,

Thank you for your response. My phone is 7961... I tried to set the vlan on the phone..but i could find a way to change it. Once I got to the setting...the only button I saw was "Exit"...but nothing like " change" or "config"....

Please suggest. Thank you very much.

Takami Chiro

Hello,

In the case of the Cisco 7961 (and other phones that support LLDP-MED), you can assign the VLAN settings to the phone using the LLDP-MED functions on the switch.

You have to

- enable voice vlan

- add MAC OUI

- set the port on auto voice vlan

- enable LLDP-MED globally

- create a network policy to assign VLAN320

- assign this network policy to the port the phone is connected to

Hope this helps,

regards,

Nico

Hi Nico,

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

So all the items you mentioned can be found on the switch? The only item I may not familiar with is the network policy. But no matter what, I will try to follow your instructions to do it. I will repost my question if I need help again.

Thank you very much again for your help!

Takami Chiro

Hi Takami,

You can unlock the 7900 series phones hopefully with the following procedure;

step 1. Press the settings button. You will note a icon of a lock on the top right of the screen.

step 2. On my 7965 phone I selected Network Configuration.

Step 3. I pressed   * * #  to unlock or allow me to alter certain settings,

Step 4.  I scrolled down to VLAN ID  and edited the number to the vlan I wanted the phone in.

Step 5.  I pressed the Validate and then  save button to save my settings.

That should alter the VLAN the IP phone will attach to.

There is also a application note on enabling LLDP  MED on a 300 series switch  to allow  a UC500 to see attached IP phones.

see the following URL;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13573

regards Dave

Hi Dave,

I will definitely try your option first now. Thank you very much for your help!! I really appreciate.

Takami Chiro

I followed the App Note on using a 79XX phone with a SG-300 and it didn't make one thing clear to me. I had to manually add the 'Admin VLAN id'  for the voice vlan to my phone in order for the phone to be in the voice vlan and pc connected to be in the data vlan. I just want to make sure I wasn't missing something and this is required. Once I did this, it worked.

PS If the switch supported CDP it would make life easier (I know, the ESW switches do) Maybe its on the road map.

Hi e.cormier,

So you really have to mannually tell which vlan is for the voice on the phone, like other suggested above? Or you really add the vlan id to the admin vlan on the phone?

Please help to clarify... Thank you very  much for your help.

Takami Chiro

Sure. I followed the instructions above for adding the Admin Vlan Id to the phone.

Hi e.Cormier,

Thank you very much for your prompt response. Just one more question...so you setup the port as a trunk? And in the port, both data and voice should be tagged right?

Thank you very much again. Things start to be clear now.

Hi,

On the 18 Jan (see above)  I posted a reference to a application note on using the new 300 series switch for voice and data applications, specifically for the UC500..

If that application note is followed exactly  you should have no problems.  There is NO, and I have to emphasize the NO, no need to tag the default vlan 1, please leave vlan1 untagged on the switch port .

When you tag a vlan,  the ethernet frames for that vlan propogate the tag to the access device , in your case a PC.  And the switch then also expects to see tagged ethernet frames for VLAN1 ingressing into the switch.   I gotta figure that your PC is not vlan aware, so don;t tag the default vlan, vlan1..

So follow that application note, and you will be ok.

Check out the admin guide for the 300 on what these three vlan states, access, general and trunked  mean if you want.  But if the port is in trunked mode,  the switch will allow for one untagged vlan and multiple tagged vlans on the switch port. Or use the built in help text to understand those three vlan interface modes. I have a screen capture below of the built in help text.

regards Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X