Views
Helpful
Replies

RDP Problem with Cisco SG200-18

stefvienna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we just bought a Cisco SG200-18 to replace our Linksys DLM2008 switches.

Now we face a problem wirth remote desktop between our Win7x64 boxes.

Remote access is abysmally slow, but file transfer speeds seem to be normal.

All ports are on Gigabit setting, jumbo frames disabled.

The switch on the latest firmware.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Stefan

6 Replies 6

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Stefan, try to globally disable spanning tree, save the setting and reboot the switch.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

Spanning Tree is already disabled :-(

Cheers, stefan

OK, hours of frustrating testing later ...

In essence, when I connect the of the Win7 box, I want to rdp to directly to the switch, remote desktop operation is very sluggish, pinging it shows timeouts. When I put an old Linksys SLM2005 between the box and the cisco switch everything works like a charm. That´s really wired ...

I checked cables, updated the PC's ethernet driver, played with all available settings (flow control, speed negotiation, etc.) on both the PC and the swich - no change.

Setting up a switch should be a no-brainer (especially after 27yrs in IT), but this is wired ...

If the switch would have a hardware defect, I guess putting in an additional ld switch in between would not cure the issue, so it must be some wired kind of incompatibility ...

Any ideas ?

Cheers, Stefan

Update: when I connect the PC directly to the Cisco, I can see a lot of GRC & Align errors.

When I put the Linksys SLM2005 in between there are none, neither on the Cisco nor on the Linksys.

I also swapped cables between the Cisco and the Linksys, just for the sake of the argument - as expected no change.

I wonder what that does tell me? Incompatible timings ?!?

Frustration level is on the rise ... :-(

Cheers, Stefan

Stefan, you may want to try to manually set port speed. Try 100 full and see what happens.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Will do, but has to wait, as I currently have remote access only.

Current settings are 1000mbit/full duplex/MDI/no negotiate both on the switch and the pc.

Anyway I guess the problem is with the Realtek TRL8105C ethernet chip in the PC.

Next time I'll try to put in en Intel eth-card and see what's happening, as I don't get any CRC errors on any other port.

But why putting the linksys switch in between cure the issue still beats me ...

Stefan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X