cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommendations for NIC Teaming (vSwitches <--> SG200)

alexguyinblack
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Are there any specific settings for the SG200-26 when used with ESXi vSwitches (in a load-balancing configuration)

For example 2 hosts, 4 NICs per host, each NIC transferring traffic from 2-3 VLAN's (trunk ports)

I am able to setup the VLANs on the switches and test connectivity on the individual ESXi vmnic adaptors, but when I use two adaptors in my vSwitch, I lose connectivity.

I dont see anything relevant in the logs.

Any recommendations? How are you guys setting up your SG200's to work with ESXi?

Thank you

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'd recommend you make a static LAG. The information from what you posted in pretty spot on from that knowledge base.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Alex, you should be able to set up a Link Aggregation (LAG) on the switch. The switch supports 802.3ad.

To set up a LAG, go to port management -> LAG management

You will need to remove all VLAN off the ports you want to bundle. However, once the LAG is built, you may add the vlans you want again.

Also consider, the trunk links are 802.1q. The switch does not support per-vlan-spanning tree (pvst). This means you may only have 1 spanning tree instance even for different vlans.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thank you Tom, is this same as EtherChannel?

I am reading on this VMware KB article that I should either use static LAG or EtherChannel:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1004048

(Quote below)

Note: There are a number of requirements which need to be considered before implementing any form of link aggregation. For more/related information on these requirements, see ESX/ESXi host requirements for link aggregation (1001938).

The following explains link aggregation concepts:

• EtherChannel: This is a link aggregation (port trunking) method used to provide fault-tolerance and high-speed links between switches, routers, and servers by grouping two to eight physical Ethernet links to create a logical Ethernet link with additional failover links. For additional information on Cisco EtherChannel, see the EtherChannel Introduction by Cisco.
  • LACP or IEEE 802.3ad: The Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) is included in IEEE specification as a method to control the bundling of several physical ports together to form a single logical channel. LACP allows a network device to negotiate an automatic bundling of links by sending LACP packets to the peer (directly connected device that also implements LACP).
  • EtherChannel vs. 802.ad: EtherChannel and IEEE 802.3ad standards are very similar and accomplish the same goal. There are a few differences between the two, other than EtherChannel is Cisco proprietary and 802.3ad is an open standard.
  • For additional information on EtherChannel implementation, see the Understanding EtherChannel Load Balancing and Redundancy on Catalyst Switches article from Cisco.

The following are EtherChannel supported scenarios:

• One IP to many IP connections. (Host A making two connection sessions to Host B and C)
  • Many IP to many IP connections. (Host A and B multiple connection sessions to Host C, D and etc)

Note: One IP to one IP connections over multiple NICs is not supported. (Host A one connection session to Host B uses only one NIC).

• Compatible with all ESXi/ESX VLAN configuration modes: VST, EST, and VGT. For more information on these modes, seeVLAN Configuration on Virtual Switch, Physical Switch, and Virtual Machines (1003806).
  • Supported Cisco configuration: EtherChannel Mode ON – ( Enable EtherChannel only)
  • Supported HP configuration: Trunk Mode
  • Supported switch Aggregation algorithm: IP-SRC-DST (short for IP-Source-Destination)
  • Supported Virtual Switch NIC Teaming mode: IP HASH

Note: The only load balancing option for vSwitches or vDistributed Switches that can be used with EtherChannel is IP HASH.
    • Do not use beacon probing with IP HASH load balancing.
    • Do not configure standby or unused uplinks with IP HASH load balancing.
    • We only support one EtherChannel per vSwitch or vNetwork Distributed Switch (vDS).

• Lower model Cisco switches may have MAC-SRC-DST set by default, and may require additional configuration. For more information, see the Understanding EtherChannel Load Balancing and Redundancy on Catalyst Switches article from Cisco.

This is a Cisco EtherChannel sample configuration:

interface Port-channel1
switchport
switchport access vlan 100
switchport mode access
no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/1
switchport
switchport access vlan 100
switchport mode access
no ip address
channel-group 1 mode on
!

I'd recommend you make a static LAG. The information from what you posted in pretty spot on from that knowledge base.

-Tom

Thanks so much Tom for the prompt responses - I will try this!

But I just realized the SG200-26's are not stackable, right? how do the two switches know they are part of the same LAG?

Ie

LAG1:

host1, nic1 -> switch1, port1

host2, nic1 -> switch2, port1        

LAG2:

host1, nic2 -> switch1, port2

host2, nic2 -> switch2, port2        

LAG3:

host1, nic3 -> switch1, port3

host2, nic3 -> switch2, port3        

LAG4:

host1, nic4 -> switch1, port4

host2, nic4 -> switch2, port4        

This way I would have

LAG1: 2G - VM network 

LAG2: 2G - NFS Storage front-end

LAG3: 2G - NFS Storage back-up

LAG4: 2G - ESXi features network (vMotion/FT)

I'm just realizing that I probably can not do this, unless I have the stackable SG500 series, right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X