Views
Helpful
Replies

Recurring network outage with SG500 Stack Ring

aibvit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have reocurring network outages with a SG500 stack ring with 5 units. Units have set their ID manually, no duplicates. Each day, at least at 11:02 AM and 23:02 PM CET, we loose switch units 4 and 5 and sometimes unit 2 and 3 from the stack. Two minutes later they are back and active.

We have nothing out of the ordinary happening on the network at the time the network outage occurs.

In the logs, we have continuously lines saying that stack port soandso is down.

Topology is U1 -> U2 -> U4 -> U5 -> U3 -> U1. 

Stacking cables are Prolabs SFP-H10GB-CU7M-C twice, SFP-H10GB-CU1M-C twice and SFP-H10GB-CU3M-C once.

Log is attached.

Any suggestion to solve this issue would be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Arjen Van Drie.

2 Replies 2

raluani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,
My name is Rozana and i am an engineer from the Small Business Team.

Have you tried to put the stack in a Chain topology and test if you will still experience issues?
Also what firmware / boot code is the Stack running?

I also saw that you are using one SFP module that is not in the datasheet, thus may cause issues.
Please refer to the datasheet for the SPF modules:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/small-business-500-series-stackable-managed-switches/c78-695646_data_sheet.html

Regards.

Hi Rozana,

thanks for your reply. We are on firmware 1.4.8.6 and boot code 1.4.0.02. We had already put the stack in chain topology which resulted in less severe problems, but still we got stalling or halting network transfers.

We now changed the two 7M Prolabs cables for 10M Cisco cables (SFP-H10GB-ACU10M to be exact) and we are back in ring mode with all previous problems resolved. It currently looks like we have a stable stack ring. We are still testing, but if I don't reply to this thread anymore you can consider our issue as resolved.

Best regards,

Arjen.