cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing between two vlans on an SG300 series switch

chris.loverme
Level 1
Level 1

I've seen lots of posts from people having problems routing traffic between two vlans with some complicated examples.  Can anyone post a simple step-by-step example for an SG300 switch (in layer 3 mode) to configure two vlans and sending traffic between the two vlans without an external router?

VLAN1 10.10.10.0

VLAN2 10.10.20.0

I've tried to do this through the GUI and can't seem to make it work.  It seems like it should be very simple, so maybe I'm missing something in the GUI.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chris,

I made a 5 minute recording that showed how i configured the two vlans on my SG300 switch and switched at Layer 3 between the VLANs.

You have no difficulty getting to the GUI, so you should have no difficulty in performing the configuration in a few minutes..

• Remember to use most current SG300  firmware, that has a supportable CLI.
  • to save your configuration changes at the end of the process.
  • the IP addresses you create will be the default gateway addresses for the PC hosts on those specified VLANs.
  • Recording can be paused at any time to perform the configuration  actions.

Recording is now available on the WebEx service site. Click the link below to play it:

https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/lsr.php?AT=pb&SP=MC&rID=55688352&rKey=05e1fc5fff0d05da

Vlan configuration

Monday, October 24, 2011 11:02 am New York Time

5 minutes

Have fun,

regards Dave

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chris,

I made a 5 minute recording that showed how i configured the two vlans on my SG300 switch and switched at Layer 3 between the VLANs.

You have no difficulty getting to the GUI, so you should have no difficulty in performing the configuration in a few minutes..

• Remember to use most current SG300  firmware, that has a supportable CLI.
  • to save your configuration changes at the end of the process.
  • the IP addresses you create will be the default gateway addresses for the PC hosts on those specified VLANs.
  • Recording can be paused at any time to perform the configuration  actions.

Recording is now available on the WebEx service site. Click the link below to play it:

https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/lsr.php?AT=pb&SP=MC&rID=55688352&rKey=05e1fc5fff0d05da

Vlan configuration

Monday, October 24, 2011 11:02 am New York Time

5 minutes

Have fun,

regards Dave

Hi David,

First of all, thank you.  I appreciate the time, effort, and energy you put into making a step by step video to show how to create vlan routing.  I know for sure that others will find that useful, there's a ton of posts out there with people having the same issue.  I had 99% of the configuration, what caused me some trouble was that the host I had in one of my ports was not responding to pings until I disconnected and reconnected the device to the port.  From there, I started changing settings and got lost in the weeds.  These are very slick and powerful switches they have pretty much the same feature sets as the catalyst.  Thanks again for the help!

David,

Thank you for the great resource. The video was very helpful!

I wanted to add a few notes:

1. Make sure you are running the latest firmware, the older firmware does not allow CLI editing, the most you will see is a Menu Based CLI that will not afford much control
  2. Change the system mode to Layer 3
  3. Use the IP Routing (config mode) command to enable routing

I have a related question, how can someone control which VLANs route between one another?

If we have three VLANs and only two should be able to route between them, how can that be done?

Example:

Inter-Vlan Routing is enabled, I only want VLAN10 and VLAN20 to route, VLAN30 should not be able to access VLAN10 and VLAN20

VLAN10

VLAN20

VLAN30

I have followed these instructions to the T and I set the switch as my default gateway. I can route to the Internet. But not to other VLANS. I can ping the second VLAN interface on the switch itself (10.0.0.2) but I cannot ping any other device on the other side of the device. (10.0.0.200, 10.0.0.20) and so on.

Did I do something wrong? I did go into device and into config mode and turned on "IP Routing".

What do you suggest?

Hi Thomas,

I really have no idea what you are trying to achieve or how the network is setup ?

Even a little picture, even by microsoft paint  of the hypothetical network setup will speed up getting a resolution to you.

regards Dave

I have to apologize for not getting back to the post. I figured it out. The devices didn't have the default gateway as the switch. After I did that, it worked just fine.

There is a "route-reject" feature I believe that must be enabled.

There is a "route-reject" feature I believe that must be enabled.

Hi David

The link to your recording is no longer available. i am interested in configuring internet connection to my gateway from the L3 switch

Hi, I cannot view this video. I need to open port 2202 between two vlans I have set up on an SG300-10pp switch. I have its operation mode as L3.

Please help

Please repost this video

Video link has expired. Please share it again

jjoyce8994
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I tried to view the video and it says it is expired.  I am trying to set up routing between two clans now with no luck.

Here is what I have 

1 SG300-20 (192.168.0.254)

1 Linksys E2500 connected to Internet in another room out of wifi range.(192.168.0.1 & DHCP 192.168.0.210-229)

1 Access Point WAP551 (192.168.0.253)

I have 10 Control System devices that need to communicate with each other.  I do not want them to have access to the internet.  I also want the traffic on their network to be limited to mainly their own communication only.  The main control device uses dhcp 192.168.11-191 and it cannot be turned off.  There are some devices that use dhcp and some that use static ips  The devices with static ips that i need to communicate with are as follows:

192.168.0.2 port 3000

192.168.0.200 port 3002

192.168.0.201 port 3002

192.168.0.231 port 3000

192.168.0.232 port 3000

All of these devices have embedded web control pages which can be reached by putting in the devices IP address in a browser of a computer on its network.  The problem is I need those commuters to also have internet access.  I also have wireless devices such as iPads that need internet as well but also have apps that need to send these devices IP commands.

Internet Devices that need to communicate to the non internet devices

iMac 192.168.0.242

iPad & iPhone (Hoping for DHCP from the router)

I have gotten as far as setting up two vlans.  My control devices see each other, my internet devices see each other but thats it.

Please Help!

golfgolf17
Level 1
Level 1

Who still have video for this problem?? Can i have this?? or provide me a solution. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X