cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing between two vlans on an SG300 series switch

chris.loverme
Level 1
Level 1

I've seen lots of posts from people having problems routing traffic between two vlans with some complicated examples.  Can anyone post a simple step-by-step example for an SG300 switch (in layer 3 mode) to configure two vlans and sending traffic between the two vlans without an external router?

VLAN1 10.10.10.0

VLAN2 10.10.20.0

I've tried to do this through the GUI and can't seem to make it work.  It seems like it should be very simple, so maybe I'm missing something in the GUI.

15 Replies 15

It is easy to route using the SG300 switches.  Setup the SG300 switch in L3 mode.  Do not use a trunk port to the router or the router will end up doing the routing.  Use an access port on the SG300 switch pointing to your router.  The router will need static route statements on your router pointing to the SG300 switch port connected to the router.  The SG300 switch will need it's default gateway pointing to the router.  This is all there is to it.

I created a VLAN on my SG300 switch with 1 access port to connect to my router. I call it a router VLAN.  I use a 30 bit mask.

Just to be clear you do not need to define the network VLANs on the router which exist on the L3 switch as the L3 switch is doing the routing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X