cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Segmenting an SG300-28PP switch methodology. VLAN / LAG/ Cisco Tech Talk Confusing my understanding

Hi.

I didnt think I was such a newbie until I watched this Cisco Tech Talk video

Cisco Tech Talk: Segmenting Your Switch Using Multiple VLANs

My understanding was that to keep isolation between a handful of different subnets on one of our switches, I could implement VLANs and set the required interface ports to access mode.

I dont understand the use of the LAG in this requirement or video. My only thought is that its marginally less tedious to assign interface ports to LAGs and VLANs to LAGs than assigning each interface port to the relavent VLAN.

Am I missing something fundamental or obscure ?

I look forward to any assistance.

Regards

David

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

psandel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi David,

My name is Puneet Sandel and I am from Cisco small business technical support center.

As per your query please be advised that it is not necessary to create a LAG and creating VLANs and assigning ports to the VLAN can only solve the purpose.

LAG/Etherchannel is needed in case of increasing Bandwidth between the devices(switches). Putting individual ports in LAG enhance bandwidth and is mostly needed in corporate network where there is hierarchical model (Core>>Distribution>>Access Layer switches).

In normal environment creating VLANs in a L3 switch and providing them gateway and assigning ports to the VLANs is all that is needed for communication between different subnets/networks.

In case of any more queries feel free to contact us using the below link and we will definitely help you out.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Note: Please mark this post as the solution because it has been answered and we can assist you more on this once you open a case with us.

Regards,

Puneet Sandel

Technical Consulting Engineer-Level 2

Global CX Centers – Small Business Support

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

psandel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi David,

My name is Puneet Sandel and I am from Cisco small business technical support center.

As per your query please be advised that it is not necessary to create a LAG and creating VLANs and assigning ports to the VLAN can only solve the purpose.

LAG/Etherchannel is needed in case of increasing Bandwidth between the devices(switches). Putting individual ports in LAG enhance bandwidth and is mostly needed in corporate network where there is hierarchical model (Core>>Distribution>>Access Layer switches).

In normal environment creating VLANs in a L3 switch and providing them gateway and assigning ports to the VLANs is all that is needed for communication between different subnets/networks.

In case of any more queries feel free to contact us using the below link and we will definitely help you out.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Note: Please mark this post as the solution because it has been answered and we can assist you more on this once you open a case with us.

Regards,

Puneet Sandel

Technical Consulting Engineer-Level 2

Global CX Centers – Small Business Support

Puneet
Thanks for a fast reply. I am quite happy to use the VLAN only architecture because the devices on each VLAN have no need to talk to anotehr VLAN. This exercise is to remove historic use of cheap other brand switches to physical separate traffic.

Regards

David