cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

CISCO SWITCHES FOR SMALL and MEDIUM BUSINESS

Introducing the next generation of Cisco Small and Medium Business Switches. Cisco is refreshing its SMB Switch portfolio. Click here  to learn more.

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Setting up New SF-300 Managed Switch; not passing traffic

Hello,

I just purchased a new SF-300 managed switch for the purpose of using it on the DMZ, so we can mirror the internet port and monitor traffic for my company.  I have set it up from the web interface to miror port 1 to port 2 and that's pretty much it.  I decided to test it before putting it in production, by hooking it up to one of my core network switches, connecting a laptop to it and trying to get online.  It doesn't even connect to my DHCP server to get an IP address.  If I put the laptop back on the same subnet as the switch management IP, I can still connect to the switches web interface.  Isn't the basic functionality of a switch to pass traffic? 

I should also mention that I'm not a network engineer, so there might just be something I'm missing with regard to a default setting that needs to be switched off?  

Thanks in advance,

-Hal

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Beginner

Anyone?

Participant

Hello Hal,

When setting the switch up for port mirroring, you will select the ports or vlans to mirror and then designate the port in which to send all this mirrored traffic.

You should be able to connect your laptop to the SF-300 and then from the switch to any other switch and have traffic passing IF it is a very simple network. What are you connecting the switch to? If it is another switch, does that switch have any port security settings that could prevent traffic flow?

It is also possible that if you are on the latest firmware of the SF-300 that the port you are uplinking into your network has an incorrect smartport setting. If this is the case, I recommend changing the port to switch mode under the smartport settings.

Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it's hooked up to another switch, an enterasys b2g124-48.  I have tried it in several different ports on more than one enterasys(we have four that our interconnected to our core switch via LAG ports and then to the internet)  I have a very simple network for the most part, we have no VLANs, only one building, one server room. 

How do I check my smartport settings?  This switch only seems to be configurable via the web interface.  The console interface doesn't give me a CLI, just a menu that is much more stripped down than the web management interface.

Thanks,

-Hal

Highlighted
Beginner

I fixed it by upgrading the firmware from 1.0.0.27 to 1.1.1.8(the latest)

Thanks for the help! 

-Hal