cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setup New SG500-28 POE Switch

pricec002
Level 1
Level 1

I have two new SG500-28 POE switches I need to setup for a new floor implementation. If possible I would like to copy the config of same model switch I have in production to these new switches and then login and make a couple of changes (name, IP address). Does anyone know how I go about making that happen or have the URL to whitepaper for same?

7 Replies 7

MD KAFINUZZAMAN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi  pricec002,

login to your existing switch and put Show run-config take this output to a note pad edit its ip address and host name then go to your new switch go to config terminal and step by step pest this. 

Thanks

kafi

Saji Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi pricec002,

What are the major things that you want to copy? Like vlans etc?

Now, if I was you, I will not copy everything from one switch to another switch and connect it to the same network. I will be comfortable configuring it manually and not make mistakes. It takes time but better safe then sorry.

Also, a word of caution, if you are using multiple vlans (VTP manages VLAN2 to VLAN1002 only) and VTP, then ensure that none of the new switches are in the vtp server mode (by default they are). You do not want the new switches to have the server role and send the vlan information to the other clients. You can have it as transparent thou.  

Regards,

Saji Thomas

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I've gone the route of configuring manually instead of uploading configuration from another switch. Two questions:

1. Where in the GUI do I change the VTP server mode to not be a server?

2. Under Management Interface \ IPv4 Interface \ Management VLAN there's only one selection available '1'. However on our other switches I can click the down arrow and all the VLANS are listed. The previous IT staff has them all set to '5'. Why do I only have one selection '1'? and how do I get more options to choose '5' like all the other switches?

Thanks again for your help.

Hi,

This may help...In global configuration#vtp mode ? 

Go through this link. It will guide you very well.

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=102157&seqNum=3

Hello pricec002,

Thank you for visiting the Cisco Support Community!

It seems like you need to create new VLANs to match the configuration of your other switches. Here is an article to guide you through creating these VLANs. Although the GUI may be slightly different depending on the type of switch, the steps are very similar. 

If this post was helpful, please remember to mark this question as resolved to help others in the community! If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Best, 

LP

I've created all the VLAN ID numbers on the new switches. However I'm not able to select VLAN 5 for the management VLAN. Only VLAN ID 1 is available. On the other switches VLAN ID 5 is selected and when clicking on down arrow button all the vlans are listed. I read the article Saji suggested but not finding how to make this happen either.

Further more I've discovered when joining a port to a VLAN the VLANS I've created are not listed. Hence the reason why I can only default to VLAN ID '1' on the management interface \ IPv4 Interface screen. Please see the attached screen shot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X