cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SF302-08 DHCP

wakelt1961
Level 1
Level 1

Can't seem to get DHCP to function properly with my SF302-08 in the network path. The

setup looks as follows:

wall-jack

<->  Linksys 8 port switch

<->  SF302-08

<->  several PCs

(I've inherited the setup...I realize it could be done more efficiently. Lets focus on the

issue at hand)

The SF302 is supposed to be in Layer 2 mode, and NOT perform any DHCP services.

My hope is that it would pass the DHCP message up to the next switch, how will

send it to the router "behind the wall".

Devices hanging on the Linksys 8 port device ALL get their IP addresses. PC's hanging

off the 302-08 don't get their IP addresses. If I plug of of these devices into the Linksys

device, it does get and ip.

So, it seems as if the 302-08 is the cause of the problem. Is there something specific

I need to configure in the 302 to make this happen ???

thanks for your help

5 Replies 5

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Walter,

What is the model of the Linksys switch? Have you tried changing the connecting ports between the switches? What happens if the SF302 is directly connected to the wall-jack?

Regards,

Nagaraja

Hi Nagaraja;

I'm afraid I can't answer the first question till monday morning. I do know it looks

like a cheapy unmanaged L2 device.  I haven't yet tried connecting 302 directly to

wall.

wk

Peter __
Level 1
Level 1

Have you updated the firmware?

I take it the only thing you changed was to put it in Layer 3 mode in saying its not supposed to be in Layer 2 mode?

Do you use 192.168.1.0 in your network? If so try changing the SF302 interface IP and make it static.

Can a PC from your Linksys access the SF302?

If you give a PC connected to the SF302 a static IP that it would normally get from DHCP does that work in connecting to the rest of the network?

Hi Peter;

I have NOT updated the firmware (yet).

Why would I want in L3 mode if all I want is local switching w/o vlans ??

Wouldn't I want L2 mode ??

I do not use 192.168.1.0.

Haven't tried your other two "tests". Perhaps on monday morning.

walter kelt wrote:

Why would I want in L3 mode if all I want is local switching w/o vlans ??

I never said you did you said “The SF302 is supposed to be in Layer 2 mode” but I'm sure you edited the is from not and if not my mistake...I'm sure it said not when I first looked at it but all well what you want will work in Layer 2 mode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X