Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SF302-08P Camera VLAN configuration question

could use some advise on the best way of setting this up correctly

I am in the process of preping our network for the installation of an IP Camera based security system on it will be running within VLAN 600 in our network, and management would prefer that general users are not even aware it is there.

16 Cameras will all be running off two SF302-8P Switches that will be uplinked to our Cisco 2960 Access Switches. Due to port limitations I need to daisy chain the two SF302 Switches.

ACCESS-302-CA-01 - Ge1 uplinked to Port on ACCESS-03 (Cisco 2960)

On this switch Fe1-8 Need to be in VLAN 600 to communicated with the camera server which will be plugged directly into Ge2 on Access 302-02.

ACCESS-302-CA-02 - Ge1 Uplinked to Ge2 on ACCESS-302-01

Ge2 - connected to the Network Video Recorder.

I've defined the VLAN's in the switch and have VLAN 600 as Untagged for FE1-8.

how do I configure Ge1 and Ge2 on each switch to pass the appropriate VLAN conntent to the devices connected?

1 Reply 1

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Joshua,

My old favourite  PVC2300 surveillance cameras,  had the ability to tag the Ethernet frames going into the switch,  they were vlan aware

But if your surveillance cameras  are not vlan aware, then you would have to make a surveillance vlan as being untagged on these switch ports.

Uplink ports will be tagged for that surveillance vlan to propagate Ethernet frames between switches.

The following URL, is a Cisco  enterprise best practices guide for surveillance cameras.  Some of the information regarding switch topology and setup may be most relevant and other information  on  more specific aspects of the enterprise solution such as "Video Surveillance Media Server" not so relevant.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/IPVS/IPVS_DG/IPVSchap4.html#wp1054425

regards Dave