Helpful
Replies

SF500 image update to 1.4.0.88 fails

ekontos
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to install the 1.4.0.88 image and I receive the following error:

cisco Status: Copy failed Error Message: Copy: SW code file is over sized

I believe that I also need to upgrade the bootcode but I can't find any documentation on how to do this.  Any links would be appreciated.

8 Replies 8

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello ekontos,

I am sorry you are having this issue.  Here is a link to the release notes (for all the switch models) that will tell you about the upgrade process from what firmware version to which.  

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/small-business-300-series-managed-switches/products-release-notes-list.html

As for the upgrade for the bootcode, you will have to upgrade that file via TFTP.  

Here is a quick summary of the upgrade process:

Upgrading from Versions Earlier than 1.3.5
When upgrading the device from version prior to 1.3.5, you first need to upgrade the device image to image version 1.3.5 or 1.3.7 and the latest boot file (1.3.5.06).

Start with upgrading to the boot code 1.3.5.06 (using TFTP) and then the firmware to 1.3.5.58 (using HTTP).  Under active image make sure to set upon reboot to make 1.3.5.58 the active firmware.  Reboot the switch.  Verify the switch has upgraded to the correct firmware/boot code.

Once the switch is upgrade, for Sx500s, you will need to upgrade to bootcode 1.4.0.02 (using TFTP) and also to firmware version 1.4.0.88 (using HTTP).  

Link to the admin guide: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/Sx500/administration_guide/500_Series_Admin_Guide.pdf
Starting on page 37 has the information for the upgrade process.

Hope this helps,

Michael D.

If this post is helpful please rate or mark as correct.

Can my computer be the TFTP server or do I need to download a TFTP server?  I tried using mine by putting in my IP address and putting the file in the root folder of my C drive and that didn't work.  I have Windows 7.  Do any ports need to be opened on my firewall?  Any other help would be appreciated

Hello ekontos,

You will need to download a tftp server.

You can download tftpd32 at the following link.

http://tftpd32.soft32.com/free-download/

Hope this helps.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks.

Hello ekontos,

I typically use TFTPd32/64 and create a root folder on my desktop and put in all the files the bootcode and firmware into it, makes it easier/simple to find during this process.

Further you may need to disable the firewall on the Windows PC if another application is managing the firmware other than Windows.  Though to be safe you may just want to disable it during the upgrade process.

Regards,

Michael D.

So you can't use the TFTP in the switch manager screen for upgrades?

Hello ekontos,

The fields in the switch are for you to point the SF500 to the TFTP server that has the file you will like to upload to the switch.

Select the TFTP option then in the following fields:

TFTP Server IP Address/Name—Enter the IP address or the domain name of the TFTP server. •   

(For Upgrade) Source File Name—Enter the name of the source file  (example file name:  sx200_boot-13506.rfb ).

Hope this helps,

Michael D.

Hello ekontos,

I am follow up to see if you were able to get the switch upgrade?

If you need further assistance please let us know.

Regards,

Michael D.

Thanks, I did get the upgrade done.  Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X