cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFE100P VoIP configuration

mcgriff1985
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,  I am looking for some help with my sfe1000p.  It will be used to give 4 phones PoE and VoIP as well as give internet access to computers (the phones have an output to the computer).  I have the basics down but I cannot seem to figure out how to set up QoS and VoIP Priority.  The current system we have cuts out whenever the customers are sending emails and getting on the internet to help their customers.  This switch is going into an insurance places office. I currently am studying to be a CCNA but have no prior training and this is very important and needs to be put in within a few days.  I have used the manual but it doesnt really give me any explanation on what the different things does it just says go here and do this but doesnt say this handles VoIP priority so I am not sure about what I need to program.  Please help we are lost.

1 Reply 1

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Sean,

The SFE1000P was originally slated for a Cisco small business voice system and came with a default configuration for both data and voice.

To me for simplicity reasons, it sure makes so much sense to re-use the pre-configured voice vlan for your voip requirements, sure would make life easier for you.

The GUI of the switch should indicate under the Bridging tab or VLAN tab the vlans present within thats switch.  Been a while since I played with a SFE1000P

But there will be one untagged vlan, I think VID=100 (not 1) and one tagged VLAN (VID=10)  that should be used for tagged  voice traffic.

If however the phones are going to be untagged and in the same VLAN as the PC, the IP phones should be able to send out layer 3 DSCP values in the ethernet frame. I know i can do this on my IP phones.

By default, I beleive, the SFE1000P and it's bigger brother the SFE2000P,   will default to  trust layer 2  COS values and adjust egress queueing according to these values. You may have to alter this default COS value to trust DSCP instead.  See copy of page 99 of the Admin guide for this product or the  screen capture below;

So if you don't use VLAN tagging for VOIP phones,  adjust the QOS Basic mode to trust DSCP and set a DSCP value on your IP phone.

But,  if you do use VLAN tagging for VOIP phones, then set the  VLAN ID of the phone, I believe to 10,  and the switch should take care of the rest.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sfe1000p/administration/guide/SFE1000P_Admin_Final.pdf

regards Dave