cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFE2000 saving and loading configuration

alan.douglas
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of SFE2000 10/100 24 port POE switches.

They are configured and running OK. I want to be able to save the configuration and be able to load that saved configuration into another new swich in the case of a failure.

I have logged in and gone to Admin-File Management-Save Configuration. I then select the 'Backup' radio button and TFTP the configuration to my TFTP server. All works OK and I have a readable text file with the switch configuration on my TFTP server.

Now, here comes the problem.

I want to be able to restore that saved configuration on to a new switch.

I have set the new switch back to factory defaults. I go to  Admin-File Management-Save Configuration. I then select the 'Upgrade' radio button and try and uploade the file into the switch.

If load to 'Running Configuration' the switch shows a status of 'Copy Finished' but says 'Copy completed with errors'

If load to 'Startup Configuration' the switch shows a status of 'Copy Failed' and says 'Copy completed with errors'

Am I missing something here???

I am guessing I should be able to load my saved Configuration back into a switch, shouldn't I??

And yes the switches are running the same firmware 3.0.0.17

Any help gratefully received. I am scratching my head here...

Alan

7 Replies 7

nimusell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alan !

Thank you for participating in the Small Business support community. My name is Nico Muselle from Cisco Sofia SBSC.

Did you try loading the file through http ? This should enable you to load the file straight from your desktop by using the browse button.

As far as loading from the TFTP server is concerned, can you see the file being requested on your TFTP server, do you see an incoming request there ? And from the TFTP server, do you see the file being transferred completely ? You should be able to load the file from the TFTP server to the startup configuration (running config is not really advisable). Make sure that your switch has an IP configuration that is allowed and able to load the config from the TFTP server before trying to copy the file (same subnet or route to TFTP known)

Hope this helps

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Sr. Network Engineer - CCNA

Nico,

Thanks. I will give the HTTP transfer a go.

In regard to your questions re TFTP. Yes, I can see the connection and the file transfering from the TFTP server.

It seems to me that it is the switch not liking something in the configuration file being transfered rather than the file transfer process itself.

I have also tried TFTPing my configured switch's configuration to the TFTP server and then trying to TFTP it back.

In this case the IP address of the switch does not change with the loaded config. (Especially if you are loading into the 'Startup Configuration") but this fails with the same error.

Anyway, I will go and try HTTP and update you on progress.

Thanks again

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your feedback, and let me know how the http method went

As far as TFTP is concerned, when you try to upload the firmware, does it also generate an error message in the switch log ? If so, I would like to see that message to know what exactly is going on and what is generating this error message. You might want to take a look in the switch RAM of Flash logging to see what is happening there. You need to make sure though that logging is enabled first though

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Well some interesting developments

Trying to TFTP the configuration back into the switch logs the following:

%COPY-W-TRAP: The copy operation has failed.

The TFTP server does report that the transfer has happened sucessfully.  Go figure..

I have also been trying the HTTP method.

I have saved the configuration of one of the switches that I configured manually.

I can HTTP this back into another switch runnig the same firmware. On reboot the switch has all the appropriate configuration.  All good.

I have then taken a configuration file I have copied from one of our production switches running 1.0.0.48 firmware.

I used HTTP to transfer this configuration file on to a fresh factory reset switch. (3.0.0.17)

Transfer happens without any errors.

But on rebooting the switch the configuration has NOT loaded. Still at factory default.

I am guessing that there is something in the configuration text file that the old firmware creates that the new firmware does not like.

I would try and update the firmware on my older switches but last time I used the Cisco Easy Upgrade Utility it corrupted the switch and it would not start up any more. (I had to figure out how to send the firmware to the switch via XMODEM and that is not in the manual) And all its configuration was lost too.

Having lots of fun with this.   NOT!

Hi Alan,

Thank you so much for your feedback.

When copying over TFTP, is there another error message following the described : %COPY-W-TRAP: The copy operation has failed ? I would suppose that at least a second message would be logged with the reason for the failure.

As far as the transfer of configuration files is concerned, it is always safer to make sure the FW versions of both devices are the same. As far as upgrading is concerned. Switches that use the older fw version 1.0.0.x need to be upgraded to 3.0.0.17 first using the easy upgrade utility. Switches with HW version 2 and FW version 2.x should be upgraded using the regular TFTP or HTTP method (not the easy upgrade utility). All of this can be read in the release notes for fw 3.0.0.17 and 3.0.0.18

As far as Xmodem is concerned, you make the connection to the switch using Hyperterminal, TeraTerm Pro or any other terminal emulator supporting Xmodem, when booting the switch, you can escape the boot sequence (given the switch does not boot up) by pressing Esc or Enter when this appears on the screen. You'll then have an option to "Download Software", select this option. Then on your terminal emulator, select to transfer file (send) using Xmodem. This should do the trick.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Hello Alan and nimusell

I have had the same problem however there are some things to be aware of when uploading a config file from another switch;

If the previous switch was in a stack and the switch you are trying to configure is in standalone mode then the uploaded file from the stack switch will fail due to syntax.   The syntax variations are as follows:

From a stack switch

interface range ethernet 1/e(1-24)

switchport mode general

exit

vlan database

vlan 19,195-196,199,999

exit

interface ethernet 1/e1

switchport general pvid 195

exit

interface ethernet 1/e2

exit

From a standalone switch

interface range ethernet e(1-24)

switchport mode general

exit

vlan database

vlan 19,195-196,199,999

exit

interface ethernet e1

exit

interface ethernet e2

exit

This can be the symptom of a partial successful load or a complete fail.

Hope this helps.

kind regards

Richard Rabe

Alan,

Are you in layer 2 mode or layer 3 mode with the switch.

If your in config is in layer 3 mode and you try loading it in layer 2 mode it will fail.

I have had a case with a customer that was doing that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X