cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG-200-08 Does not allow gateway access

Bob Waxler
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SG200-08 that I need to use as an intermediate switch.  When hooked up, the attached systems have good access to the server on the lan, but cannot ping the gateway or get to the web.  I left it at the factory settings.

Replacing it with an existing "dumb" switch all works well.  This has become frustrating???  I need two of these when the install is complete but...

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

hi Bob

SG200 is smart manageable switch with a lot of "smart" features enabled and running by default. One of them is STP (spanning-tree protocol) which actively sends BPDU frames out of all active ports. Normally it did good work (as it prevents to occur switching loops), but could cause issues for example in case, that some connected device does not expect to receive them and blocks port on which BPDU frame is detected.

So in your case if you have another - smart switch in topology (toward your gateway, or gateway itself) with enabled BPDU guard on switchport toward SG200 switch, then this behavior is pretty expecting. "Dumb" switch does not produce any STP traffic and thus it behaves completely transparently for neighbor devices at all.

If that's your case then you have two options:

• disable STP protocol globally on SG200 unit, or
  • disable STP only on switchport toward uplink switch on SG200 unit (better option in comparison to previous)
  • disable BPDU guard on switchport of neighboring switch (most recommended option)

asbesi001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bob,

Did you manage to solve the issue?

I am having similar issues.

thnx,

Bj

The original setup had the FiOS Ethernet connecting to the switch as well as the desktops.  The resolution was to feed the FiOS line directly to the router,  using the sg switch to serve the lan. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X